My Sense of Place of my Hometown, Seattle.

Throughout the past few months, I have visited my place many times and described different aspects of the place, from physical and biological characteristics to land history to my emotional connection to the area.  This time, I am going to talk about my sense of place of where I am from, Seattle, Washington.  Specifically, the west side of Seattle, and a little bit across Puget Sound into the suburbs.  This area means a lot to me, and there are so many aspects that contribute to that.  For one, the physical area amazes me.  The city itself is absolutely stunning, and the city is surrounded by water, mountains, and forest.  I love the fact that you can be in a number of different types of landscapes in such a short amount of time.  Seattle and the surrounding area is also super special to me because so much of my family lives in or around the city.  While I am from Seattle, my immediate family moved to Pennsylvania when I was a bit younger, and so I do not get to spend as much time there anymore.  However, I am still from the west coast and that means a lot to me.  I love where I am from and my city.  Ever since moving away my sense of place has deepened, and I feel even more connected to Washington than ever.  It is almost rejuvenating every time I get to go back to visit.  The connection I have to Seattle even negatively impacted my sense of place for the town that we moved to in Pennsylvania.  I do not think I even ever fully appreciated Pennsylvania because I missed Washington so much.  However, moving to Vermont to go to UVM has changed my perspective a bit.  I still love Seattle just as much as I ever have, but I have started to understand that I can have a deeply positive sense of place in more than one place.  It also has shown me that as much as I want to move back to Seattle later in life, there are other cities and areas that I can fall in love with just as much as I did with Seattleā€¦ like Burlington.  I think this blog, along with NR001 has allowed and helped me to create a sense of place here at school.  I never realized how much my sense of place, along with other things, impacted my well-being.  I have learned the importance for me to have some sort of connection to where I am living, and I think that understanding has really helped my adjustment during my first semester of college here at University of Vermont.

This is me with the Neototems in Seattle Center, which is where the Space Needle is located, along with many other attractions. The Seattle Center was originally constructed for the 1962 World Fair.
This is a photo that I took while on the Seattle Great Wheel. The Great Wheel is a huge ferris wheel that is right on the pier. The wheel displays an amazing view of the city on one side, and Puget sound on the other.