Spring Break in Laconia

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&mid=1BwAEvgp5fBIQpzqr3U792E0CUFB1x8ES&ll=43.59624378264489%2C-71.45825389999999&z=18

The forests around Laconia are much more evergreen then Centennial Woods, but surprisingly, it is more similar to the Burlington woods than I thought it would be. Due to a pretty intense snowstorm, everything was covered in a heavy layer of white. I did my picture taking on Friday afternoon after the sun managed to come out and melt a little snow off the trees. In addition to all the evergreens, there were a large portion of birches. I went to Laconia with my family to ski and while on the mountain, I spotted some mountain birch and hobblebush. We talked about these two things in the lab where we snowshoed in the Bolton Backcountry.

I did not see or hear very much bird activity. I think it was due to the heavy snow, single digit temperatures, and intense wind. The birds must have been hiding away, and the wind was the only thing to be heard outside. When leaving Burlington for spring break, it looked like spring was coming soon. Laconia on the other hand looked as though it had not seen any warmth in months. I did spot one little galloper. It was hard to identify who it may be in the deep powder, but my best guess is a squirrel by going off size. That was all the wildlife activity I saw in the area.

Overlooking Laconia’s forests from the mountain.
(David Mize pictured)