Introduction

My location for my phenology blog is near a brook in Centennial woods. I chose to study the brook to see how it changes over the next few months. Surrounding the brook are many smaller trees, which indicated new growth. There are also many fallen trees, which I am interested in watching the progression of how a fallen tree decomposes. There seems to be a wide variety of vegetation and many unique species due to the brook. There are many large pine cones that are on the ground nearby, which are indicative of eastern white pine trees in the surrounding area. The logs that have fallen across the river are former eastern white pines. There are a lot of bush type species in the banks of the stream. The picture is from my first visit to the spot, but since I have taken pictures the leaves have started to change colors and drop to the forest floor. The water flows through but not at a fast pace, and the rocks look to possibly be shale. There are also a high number of mushrooms growing on the floor of the woods, covered by leaves. I get to my phenology spot (shown on map) by walking through centennial, which is right off campus, I enter near the bike rack. There is not much evidence of human activity in this specific area of the woods.