Mapping & Charismatic Species

Map of Redstone Pines
Notes on Redstone Pines
Picture 1: I believe this tree to be a white pine due to the fact that the needles are in groupings greater than two. These are the dominant tree of the area and seem to be taking in the sunlight. They are relatively far from one another.
Picture 2: I believe this tree to be a white oak based off of the leaves that it drop. The leaves were distinctly oak leaves but were rounded leaves, which lead me to the conclusion that it was a white oak. There were two or three white oaks in close proximity to each other near the steepest area of the Redstone Pines.
Picture 3: I believe this tree to be a red maple due to the leaf shape and that the leaf margins were serrated. There were about two red maples close to each other near the white oaks.
Picture 4: I believe that this tree might be a boxelder. I am not quite sure about this is a boxelder, but I made the identification based on the opposite compound leaves and leaf shape.
Picture 5: I believe this tree to be a northern white cedar based on the leaf/needles.
Picture 6: I could not identify this shrub but I could tell that it is an ovate, broad-leaved shrub.

Changes in Vegetation

Since the last visit to Redstone Pines many of the leaves have fallen. The last time I came approximately a third of the leaves were still on the deciduous trees. This past visit, nearly all of the leaves on the deciduous trees had fallen. There was also noticeably more pine needles located on top of the soil.

Topography and Soil

As previously mentioned, there is a large change in topography the further east along the plot that you move. The terrain gets steep along the area with the most rocks (see the map). The soil has some organic matter in the form of pine needles and leaf litter. Due to the pine needles, it is likely that the soil of Redstone Pines is slightly acidic.