Mapping and Charismatic Species

In my most recent visit to my site in Centennial Woods, I noticed a significant change in vegetation and overall liveliness of the area. Most of the leaves have fallen from the hardwood trees surrounding the brook, such as Norway maples and boxelders. A few large Eastern White Pines and various smaller plants keep the area somewhat green, but the majority of color has left the site. As for animals, I encountered an abundance of earthworms in the soil surrounding the bank, as well as a colony of ants that I was not able to photograph or identify further. I had trouble finding chordates at my site, but I did spot a squirrel at the edges of the woods on my way out. I also spotted invasive garlic mustard growing in between the trail and the river bank. These organisms together help characterize my site because they help to demonstrate the combination of human and natural influence in the area. The hardwoods and pine trees represent the typical forestry of Vermont and help foster a healthy ecosystem. Earthworms and ants also are good indicators of ecosystem health. However, invasive species and lack of chordates show the impact of humans on the area. Humans bring invasive species and the nearby human development likely drives away most larger chordate species.

As for the topography and soil of the site, I did not notice many changes from my previous visits. The brook was running a little slower than in the past but it still remained at the same level in the banks. The surrounding area appeared to not have changed significantly in topography. In finding earthworms, I found the soil to be more fertile than my past visits due to the increased accumulation of leaf litter and organic material. I am looking forward to seeing my site change even more in the upcoming months!

In making my map, I became more aware of the various different pieces and patterns influencing my site. I realized that there was a difference between the forest on the trail side of the brook and the forest on the opposite side. It also made me think about the various interactions between the brook and its various surroundings, of which I will be more cognizant in my future visits.