Welcome to Ethan Allen Park!

Hello, and welcome to Ethan Allen Park! I will be your tour guide over the next few weeks as we explore the changes in the landscape during the transition from fall to winter. This series starts off on the brisk morning of October 7th, which happens to be a week before peak-foliage in Vermont. I specifically chose to examine Ethan Allen Park because of it’s location in regard to campus and the ability to get here easily by public transportation. This little plot that I have chosen is comprised of mainly Sugar Maple trees, with a few Eastern White Pines and several young American Beech. One tree of particular interest to me (seen in images 7007, 7010, 7011 on my Flickr) is one that I’m not familiar with. After some research, I now believe it is an aspen tree, but I’m not entirely sure. The top of the tree and its leaves are characteristic of an aspen, but the bottom 10 or so feet of the trunk look entirely different from the rest of the tree. To my immediate right is a baby White Oak (seen in image 6993) that I have named Fred and whom I will watch very closely over the coming weeks.

There are many downed limbs scattered across the forest floor, and there is currently a thin blanket of fallen leaves covering the ground. So far I have not spotted any poison ivy, but I am always on the lookout. About half of the trees in this area have started to change change colors, while the other half remain a vibrant green. There is a healthy amount of understory growth, and the understory seems to be receiving sufficient light. The canopy appears to be in good health as well, except for one Eastern White Pine that seems to be about 70% dead.

I sat in this spot for 45 minutes, making as little noise as I could, and I only spotted one grey squirrel. There were, of course, many birds chirping in the trees and in the distance, but I don’t know birds well enough to distinguish them just by their calls. Behind me, up the path to the left 20 or so feet is a fort that has been constructed and used by many people, evident by the numerous names carved into the trees surrounding it and the numerous beer and soda cans strewn across the ground.

One of the draws to Ethan Allen Park is it’s historic tower that looks down upon the town from atop a hill, but unfortunately the tower is under construction and is closed to the public. From my spot, I can hear a few construction sounds every now and then–a booming thud, the rattle of a jackhammer, and the men shouting to each other over the noise. For the most part, however, it’s quite peaceful in the park.

I look forward to visiting my spot this coming week and observing the changes in the landscape. Tune in next week for another update!

*Photography for this week*