Announcing College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Teaching Fellows

NOTA BENE: Before I post my second blog, I would like to state clearly that although the first blog was rather formal, my goal in future is to use the blog to alert faculty and staff of College events and decisions as they are being planned and to use it as well to respond to questions that I learn are widespread about things that are happening in the College or about College responses to university decisions. My hope is that these will be both timely communications that will, by necessity, also be informal. The result is that they may be updated and revised as plans develop and are refined.
College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Teaching Fellows
This coming fall selected departments in CAS (those whose chairs told us their delivery of instruction would benefit from such a program) will pilot a new program that pairs undergraduate teaching assistants with faculty teaching large classes. The students will be chosen by department faculty using criteria developed by them, but are expected to be juniors or seniors by the fall who are academically talented students familiar with the course material and who contemplate careers in university teaching or related fields. The Provost’s office will provide the College with funding for 50-60 of these students who will work 8-10 hours per week for hourly wages. The goal is twofold: 1) to create pedagogical teams, supported with relevant programming, that will give students experience parallel to that many of them experience in the area of research, and 2) to provide faculty teaching large classes with support.