‘So much to do and so little time to do it!” This could be the slogan for these times with endless deadlines, constant connection, and the relentless question: “so what are you going to do with your degree?”
Yes, there are many steps to take in your career action plan. Experience + career + experience + networking + experience… And yet, we also need a sense of our own value & values to guide us or else the steps are scattered and become merely check-offs on a to-do list.
To steer the course of your own life, pay attention to intention! A goal is something you want to achieve. An intention is the way you want to live your life. For example:
Goal: Get a job. Intention: Do meaningful work in the world. Intentions express what guides you through your daily actions in support of small and big goals.
Here are five ways to claim your direction:
- Clarify: What matters? People? Issues? Doing your best? Giving back? Paying forward?
- Focus: Keep your intention in mind as you move through each day.
- Activate; Take daily actions that demonstrate your commitment & intention.
- Share: Talk with others about what drives you to find others with which you can work.
- Acknowledge: Express your gratitude for people and interactions that support you, your intention and your career/life pathway.
“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?” Mary Oliver