Here are a couple of initial readings to get us going.
- Zalasiewicz, J., M. Williams, W. Steffen, P. Crutzen, “The New World of the Anthropocene,” Environmental Science & Technology Viewpoint 44.7 (2010), 2228-31.
- Chakrabarty, D., “The Climate of History: Four Theses,” Critical Inquiry 35.2 (2009), 197-222.
And some recommended background reading (which we might decide to focus more closely on, or not).
- Haus der Kulturen der Welt. The Anthropocene Project: An Opening. 2013. Please examine this for future readings and viewings. Videos of many of the talks can be found on YouTube.
- Steffen, W. J. Grinevald, P. Crutzen, and J. McNeill, The Anthropocene: Conceptual and Historical Perspectives. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society 369.1938 (2011), 842-867.
- Crist, E. On the Poverty of Our Nomenclature. Environmental Humanities 3 (2013), 129-147.
Please let me know if you aren’t able to access any of these.