Feminist Presence in Rock Music

Click Here!

note: Soundcloud would not let me upload my shortened clip of my last song, “Not a Pretty Girl” by Ani Difranco, so the one on the audio report is the full length. Please don’t feel the need to listen to the entire 3-something minutes of it!

References:

McCarthy, K. (2006), Not Pretty Girls?: Sexuality, Spirituality, and Gender Construction in Women’s Rock Music. The Journal of Popular Culture, 39: 69–94. doi: 10.1111/j.1540-5931.2006.00204.x

McClary, S. Women and Music on the Verge of the New Millennium. Signs: Journal Of Women In Culture & Society [serial online]. Summer2000 2000;25(4):1283. Available from: Academic Search Premier, Ipswich, MA. Accessed March 13, 2013

Arrow M. ‘It Has Become My Personal Anthem’: ‘I Am Woman,’ Popular Culture and 1970s Feminism. Australian Feminist Studies [serial online]. July 2007;22(53):213-230.

Attali, Jacques. “Noise: The Political Economy of Music.” Trans. Array The Sound Studies Reader. Jonathan Sterne. 1st ed. London and New York: Routledge, 2012. 29-39. Print.

3 thoughts on “Feminist Presence in Rock Music

1. Music is definitely a mobile for change, and I can see why it has been easily picked up by the feminist movement. A catchy song is made all the more powerful by a strong underlying message. Interesting examples.

2. Alright so I may have not read your little warning about “Not A Pretty Girl” and accidentally listened to the whole thing and I was basically like ‘WHY IS THIS SO LONG’. Regardless I feel as if you made good social commentary that was well supported by your examples.

3. That was interesting; I wonder if there are parallel political song movements happening in other cultures at this time?