Assignment 4

Meditation is by nature, a connection between mind and body. As the mind consciously directs its intentions towards one goal, you can begin to lose the connection, or awareness, of your body. The brain is the primary processing unit of sensory reception, aural reception included and therefore, it is logical to conclude that different sounds can evoke slightly different mental states, and in turn lead to different states of meditation. The effect of rhythmic, and resonate sound can induce states far more conducive to spiritual experiences when meditating due to altered areas on activity in the neural cortex, mantras being a practical example. Mantras, sounds considered to create transformation, are a pinpoint of many Buddhist meditation rituals and even extend into other religions such as the Om in Hinduism. There are other methods of entering altered states of consciousness that are slightly less pure, but regardless, music certainly impacts these chemically altered states in an equally intricate manner.

The superior link is awfully long, so you aren’t obligated to listen to the whole thing, however I would recommend everyone trying to meditate to it! This sound is of Buddhist and Hindu mantras recited by spiritual figures within the respective religions. The distant, steady, consistent noise exemplified through the reciting of Buddhist or Hindu text is a rhythmic sound conducive to meditation which would intensify the spiritual feelings felt during a meditative state of mind. Another aspect of these sounds that my research won’t touch upon is the meaning of the words. These are holy words being presented in a state that promotes meditation, making them very, very powerful.

http://www.meditations-uk.com/images/information/brain_waves.jpg

4 thoughts on “Assignment 4

1. Due to the links between our topics and our mutual interests, I am exceedingly excited to read your report on this topic. I find your perspective to be much welcome due to my lack of investigation into the brain, and I feel it will complement my own research. I am specifically intrigued by your mention of losing connection to your body and would love to further discuss this with you.

2. When I think if meditation, I think of a practice that involves all faculties simultaneously in order to achieve an awakened or aware state. Can a meditative state be achieved through listening to sound alone?

3. More modern Western mockery of these Buddhist and Hindu practices tend to be more complex and involved, yet still maintain the same goal (i.e. meditation). Whether it’s some collection of rainforest noises on CD or an app that is supposed to play music to induce certain states of mind. The idea that these religions in the Orient have had the idea since the dawn of their religion is baffling.

4. I know you said that you are not focusing on the words that are being said but does the tone and rhythm of how they are being said make an impact on the ability to meditate?