Back to Burlington (Mass)

I almost lost my boot walking out here.
This is one smaller stream that connects to the larger brook and Shawsheen River wetland.
This place is special (at least to me) because it is where McKee Brook extends outward into flooded wetland that sometimes becomes dangerously high in storm events. Also, it is along the Shawsheen River.

The place I chose to explore is a wetland area along the Shawsheen River near my sportsmen’s club. I had hoped to be able to find evidence of beavers as I have seen them killed on the adjacent stretch of road, but I was unsuccessful. I had found large chunks of deer hair but as this is a sportsman’s club that could be remnants from a hunter processing an animal on the premises. This place, like my location in centennial woods, has very little trees and is comprised mostly of shrubby plants and grasses. This place is also similar to centennial in that it is has many imperious surfaces nearby and has runoff issues, mostly relating to erosion. These mostly effect Shawsheen River and partially effect McKee Brook. Shawsheen has flooded significantly in recent years. Unlike centennial woods, this place does not have the benefit of a forest barrier. Only one edge of the wetlands has a riparian buffer. The rest is bordered by road, parking lot or cut over by a bridge. Right now, deer are often seen at the edges of the wetland feeding and drinking, probably in preparation for winter. I have been observing this place each time I go to the club and right now water levels appear to be at their highest as of late. Due to loud noises of human disturbance, I do not often see wildlife other than coyotes.