Early March Phenology- UVM Campus

This week, the week of March 7th, I took some time to explore UVM’s campus and observe the phenological changes occurring as spring approaches. With the warm weather, animal activity was high and visible, specifically with birds. Although I could not identify the species of birds on my own, after some research I believe I heard the Eastern Phoebe, a migratory bird that is usually the first to arrive in the spring (Vermont Center for Ecostudies). Another phenological change was the snow coverage. There has been a thick layer of snow covering the ground since we arrived here in late January. This week, the majority of this snow melted, causing lots of mud and puddles across campus. Mud season in Vermont has truly begun. When hammocking in the Redstone Pines, I observed lots of pinecones scattered on the ground. In addition, the pine trees themselves are still covered in needles and look very green.

Not only were phenological changes evident, human activity definitely shifted this week. Instead of being huddled inside, most of the students here were outside enjoying the sunshine! It was nice to see everyone embracing the warm weather.

pine trees in Redstone Pines
pinecones in Redstone Pines
snow is melting, mud season is beginning
a flock of migratory birds