Return to Salmon Hole- Winter Edition!

It is great to be back at Salmon Hole for the first time in the Spring Semester! I saw lots of great animal tracks, birds, and general signs of animals in the area. Although I was unable to snap a photo of it, a Great Blue Heron flew upwards from the Winooski within my line of sight, and I got to see its full wingspan and gorgeous feather colors. I also saw a mallard swimming in the icy water and walking about the frozen parts of the river. Overall, in terms of phenological changes I witnessed upon returning to the site, the differences were profound and provocative- the trees have lost their leaves, the river has almost entirely frozen over, and while the birds continue to stir up a racket, I did not see nearly as many mammals and rodents like I did last semester. I’m not sure if this is to do with the seasonal change or the more localized change inflicted upon the area (the river freezing specifically), but there was a clear change in the way the animals were interacting with the site. I saw many tracks during my adventure, most of which were curiously on the ice itself it wavy patterns with the footprints in line with one another. There were multiple sets of tracks heading in the same direction, so it can be assumed that there was likely more than one animal venturing out onto the river at the time. Further, the waterfall in the area has almost completely frozen as well, dulling the roar of the river as it flows across the landscape and making the bird noises much more noticeable. The visit was entirely enjoyable, especially with the fresh air and change of scenery from the dorm rooms. I look forward to visiting again!

*Attached are the photos of various tracks and photos of the site