Blog prompt 5: Green Grass, Running Water

What did you find to be the most interesting aspect of King’s novel?  How does it connect to the other books on this course? Was it more challenging than other works we’ve read?  Why?

(Your response to this prompt is due Monday May 2)

This entry was posted in discussions, news. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Blog prompt 5: Green Grass, Running Water

1. Rachael says:

I thought the most interesting aspect of this novel was the amazing amount of references to other literary works and historical figures. Reading the GGW notes was of course incredibly helpful and made it all the more apparent that the structure, story, and actions of the characters were incredibly well thought out and intentional. I think I also found this to be so fascinating because it calls upon the idea of stories retelling themselves in different cultures and constantly remaining relevant despite specific circumstances happening in a political or cultural sense- and upholds the idea that themes and human characteristics are universal wherever you go or are from.

2. Steven H says:

In my opinion, the most interesting aspect of King’s novel was the unusual narrative structure. At first I found it a little confusing, but as you get further into the novel things begin to make more sense. That being said, I really enjoyed how the stories became more intertwined as the story progressed. It allowed the reader to connect with each character separately before viewing them as a whole community. Subsequently, this also allowed the reader to look at the characters personal problems before looking at the problems of native society in general.
    However, my favorite part of King’s novel was that he included little allusions to other novels and biblical stories. When he makes fun of the biblical stories he is simply hilarious. Nonetheless, when he decides to include more modern allusions he becomes even more sarcastic. For example, he writes “Hey, says Coyote, haven’t we seen that guy before? They all look the same, I says. But isn’t that…? says Coyote. No, I says, Thats Robinson Crusoe. You’re getting him mixed up with Caliban. Who’s Caliban? says Coyote” (King 324). This exchange between the narrator and Coyote is extremely funny, while referencing Caliban, the slave character in Shakespear’s “The Tempest.” Ultimately, these allusions help King reinforce native stereotypes, while critiquing their legitimacy.
    Finally, I found this work to be a little more challenging than the other books we have read. However, as you progress the novel makes more sense and becomes easier to read. In the end, I enjoyed King’s novel a lot but I do not know if I would want to read it again.

3. C.J. F says:

I personally enjoyed the multiple parallel story lines that occur throughout the novel. Highway’s story lines increase the readers interest by constantly switching through the stories of multiple character’s lives such as the hospital with Dr Hovaugh, Babo, Charlie and Alberta etc. I did find it somewhat confusing and frustrating at some points, however the novel does a great job of grasping your attention and forcing the reader to dissect and find connections between the story lines. The four indians, along with Coyote and a certain degree of comedy to the novel, particularly with Coyote’s constant childish and naive interjections such as “I like fried chicken” or distracting Burnsum from outside the store and saying “Hey that was fun”. I found the individual stories of creation by each of the indians to be highly engaging, particularly when they recreate themselves such as with ‘Thought Woman’ and ‘Changing Woman’ becoming Ishmael and the Lone Ranger. When the characters are brought comprehensively together at the festival in the end, it really helped me appreciate Highway’s literary style because of how much it provokes your ability to follow and analyze a text.

4. Peter Cullen says:

I would have to say it’s the humor that kept me going with this book. It feels as though the conversations are completely real. The racial jokes about Indians are hilarious, not in a racial way but just the complete ignorance of the white characters in the novel. I like how King uses it as a comedy against his own kind as opposed to just ripping into the people that held him back during his younger years. It’s almost as if he’s laughing in their faces in a toned-down sort of way. The fact is that most people were like this and there still are plenty left. He uses it as comical ammo which makes the reader enjoy his writing; it isn’t just serious conversation throughout the novel. I like how I can literally just open to any page and find something funny. The continuous childish comments from Coyote are very humorous but it also fits in with the rest of the novel’s characters. Little quotes like “Florida, Can I go too?” make the reader laugh but it also fits perfectly as we see other characters joining in. Some scenes make me laugh because I picture seeing it in real life as I burst out laughing while they just stand there like nothing is funny.

Although very different from the other novels we’ve read, we constantly see the interaction of the white man with the Indian. The ignorance and superior-acting tendencies of the white man is always present. It also makes the reader think understand how they are treated. The presence of animals and “shape shifters” acting as humans seems to be a recurrent theme throughout the course. It seems as if nature plays a huge role in the Indian life which makes it interesting as we see different animals playing different roles. The trickster always seems to be around, playing the creator of humanity while also acting completely different from how we depict God.

This was definitely a more challenging novel because it is tough to analyze at times. It is very symbolical, like the Kiss of The Fur Queen but even more so. Also, as we spoke about this in class, it is difficult read silently at times because the humor is not all there. Some jokes and scenes are easily missed if not read allowed. The importance of a story’s truth is sometimes hard to understand but it makes more sense the more we read about it.

5. Shelley says:

One of the most interesting thing about Green Grass, Running Water was Thomas King’s masterful use of word plays throughout the book. The finest for me was set in the Dead Dog Cafe with Jeannette and Nelson. Nelson is talking about how his black lab, Tecumseh, could sing. “Nelson laid his head back and pointed his lips at the ceiling. “When I’m calling, oo-oo-oo, oo-oo-oo!” (145) This scene is a reference to the Jeannette MacDonald and Nelson Eddy 1936 movie, Rose Marie. In the movie Jeannette, who plays an opera star who heads for the Canadian wilderness in search of her brother who is also being hunted by a handsome Mountie (played by Eddy). As the Mountie rides off with his prisoner, Jeannette begins to sing, “The Indian Love Song”. The song begins, “When I’m calling, you, oo-oo-oo.” One of the parts of the book, that was so interesting was when Alberta and Charlie are watching the western in their hotel rooms. As they watch the movie, Ed Stands Alone is reading a romance novel with the same plot as the movie at the same time. This was so subtle that it is easy to miss the connection between the three characters.

While the book was challenging to read at first, I soon realized that the creation stories and the interchanges with Coyote had to be read out loud in order to understand what was going on. After that, this book was a refreshing change from the two previous novels. One way that GGRW fits in with the other novels is the issue the white world’s perception around First Nation people and that romanticized notion of what it means to be a Native American. For example, Sifton states to Eli that “you guys aren’t real Indians anyway. I mean, you drive cars, watch television, go to hockey games. Look at you. You’re a university professor.” (155) This was so striking for me as well as the idea that native religious ceremonies are not sacred and that the traditions of native people, such as the Sun Dance, are things of the past with no meaning or purpose in the 21st century.

6. Katie C. says:

What I liked the most about Green Grass, Running Water was the style in which it was written in. Because of the way King wrote, I not only felt like I was reading a story, but being told a story. The interfusional way he wrote really allowed me to hear the words, not just see them while I was reading. I also loves the way he combined and brought together a number of different stories. At first, following his words and where they lead was pretty challenging. It was hard to follow. I didn’t really understand how all the stories connected until I was well into the novel. But towards the end King easily brought all the stories back together and tied them all up nicely at the end. This novel’s humor is another reason I loved. I found myself laughing out loud at Coyote and the four story tellers. Feeling as if I was in the room with them listening to their silly interactions. King’s style really brought the novel together for me making it a new favorite.
    It was somewhat more challenging then other books we’ve read just because of the way it jumped around. I found the first half really challenging to follow and, in reading another prompt, I agree when it’s not a book you can read ten pages of then put down. Really getting through a good chunk at a time made that challenging aspect much less challenging. When I found myself reading for hours at time, the narration style became normal and much easier to follow. However I still found it challenging at times to remember what story went with what until I became used to that narrative voice.

7. Jeff S says:

What I appreciated most about Green Grass Running Water was the storytelling. I got a lot out of The Truth About Stories, so it was really cool to read King go full on in storytelling, and boy did he. One of the cool things I noticed is that King’s story is so full of other stories. The names of the characters is each a story in itself – from the 4 Indians whose names are taken directly from stories to Eli Stands Alone, a name that brings every story of someone standing alone all into one character, just in the name. There are a million allusions in GGRW, and a lot of them are not easy to notice. I love how, in such a diverse culture as North America has, King brings in so many varied stories and weaves them all together into his story.

I think that is one of the things that makes this book a bit more difficult than some of the others we’ve read. There is so much going on, and so much to understand if you really want to get the full depth, which I’m sure I didn’t, because as much as I did get, there were still references I missed I’m sure. Also, King is not as direct in making his points as some of the other books we’ve read. In Search Of April Rain Tree, or Kiss of the Fur Queen, for instance, seemed to have very direct messages about the difficulty of First Nations people finding and being accepted a place in society. King makes you think just to figure out what he’s talking about, and he often goes at an issue from the back end, sort of a trickster himself.

Ultimately, though, the themes definitely do connect very strongly to the other things we’ve read. King, in a much weirder way than other writers we’ve read, highlights many of the struggles that First Nations people face, yet he does it with comedy, a sort of black comedy at times. The struggles are all still there though, the unfairness of the government, the selfishness of others, the ignorance of people towards First Nation struggles, the misconceptions and exclusion that face the characters of most of the stories we’ve read so far.

8. Susan T. says:

My favorite aspect of King’s novel was how is was written as a linear novel. I liked how it bounced around. I like the different story lines and the different characters. I think the fact that it bounced around and wasn’t just a straightforward sequence of events, made the reader have to be more aware and pay more attention to what was happening, as well as when it was happening. The way the story bounces around reminds me of Eden Robinson’s Monkey Beach. It reminds of Monkey Beach because of the way the story also bounces around within time, from the present to a flashback, back to present etc. I also like how the stories are separated by both Cherokee words that specify a direction and a color. (East & Red, South & White, West & Black, North & Blue) I liked this just because it was a nice insight to the culture and provided a nice touch to the stories.

9. Kaleigh M says:

Green Grass Running Water, by Thomas King, provides us with many interesting facets on which to comment. I was particularly interested in the use of repetition throughout the novel. For instance, within Part 1 we see the repetition of water. Water is, not necessarily an important, but an undoubtedly present object within all of the four stories we hear, as told by the Lone Ranger. This use of repetition conveys the great importance of water to the narrator, Lone Ranger. We can also use this repetition of water to connect the four stories, giving the reader a sense of cohesion that goes beyond the plot of the narrative.
    Where did the water come from? Said Alberta.
    Where did the water come from? Said Patrolman Delano.
    Where did the water come from? Said Sergeant Cereno.
    Where did the water come from? Said Lionel. (Page 104).
    I was also struck by the unknown nature of the water, just as how within the creation story the universe started with water. There is no information given as to where this water comes from, it just simply is. Perhaps this is another message that Thomas King uses through the repetition of the characters’ inherent lack of knowledge regarding their respective waters. We may not always be able to get an answer; we just have to accept what nature gives us.
    This novel is similar to others we have read in that it deals with the traditional values and ideals that Native peoples have within their contemporary societies. Just as how Annie in Through Black Spruce, by Joseph Boyden, combines her traditional means by which she survives with a new way of life in a modern environment. Just as in Through Black Spruce and many other novels we have read thus far during the semester, the contemporary “white” ways of life often do not mesh well with traditional ideals. The four old men (or women, depending upon your reading of the text) seem to exist within their own dialogue, as opposed to within their physical environment. It seems that their existence is not necessarily affected by their external circumstances, which is something that we have not seen previously within our readings.
    I believe that this novel has been slightly more challenging to read than others in that we, as an audience, have had to let go of some of the explanations that we were able to have answered in other novels. Some things within Green Grass Running Water do not make total sense, and that is something that I have had to accept in order to enjoy the book. And I have! I believe that King purposefully constructed his novel in order to convey this sense of lack of control that his characters have accepted.

10. Joe A. says:

I thought the most interesting part of Green Grass, Running Water was King’s explorations in storytelling. The novel does not just tell a story, it tells a story about stories, in a way. The structure of GGRW allows the reader to become party to the narration process, and it makes us think about how stories are told and the importance they can have.

The novel seems to be telling us something about the importance of not just telling stories, but getting them right. The opening dialogue between Lionel and Norma introduces us to this idea. In talking about choosing a color for some new carpet, Norma says, “You make a mistake with carpet and you got to live with it for a long time.” Lionel replies, “Everybody makes mistakes, auntie.” “Best not to make one with carpet.” It seems that Norma is suggesting we best not mistakes with something that will last, and soon enough we realize King wants us to understand that stories are like carpet-we have to live with them for a long time. Several pages later, in dialogue between the four indians, King makes this point explicit. Hawkeye says, “you have to get [the story] right,” and the Lone Ranger replies, “Everybody makes mistakes.” “Best not to make them with stories.”

Throughout the novel, the Indians tell and retell a creation story, struggling to get it “right.” But why does King think it so important that we not make mistakes in telling stories? I don’t think King is suggesting we recite “perfect” stories that are super accurate and well developed, but rather he is highlighting the danger that stories can hold if told for the wrong reasons. For example, stories about Indians in our culture have helped perpetuate stereotypes and racism. We have an understanding of Indians based on cultural stories about noble savages and Indian princesses. Indians have endured great struggles in the face of these stories told for the wrong reasons. The novel suggests that one way to heal these wounds from poorly told stories is to retell stories and get them right.

11. Xinh Xinh N. says:

My favorite part of the book is about the Sun Dance. I found that the sacred event which was described on the book, it was so beautiful and interesting. The Sun Dance brought people closer together. I love the way King described it. He did not really tell us much about the details at the Sun Dance since it is sacred. It seemed like King wanted us to know but he did not want to give much of it. However, based on what was given in the book, I found that the Sun Dance is an interesting event since it contains a lot of traditions and history. The food, the tent and the way relatives came over to gossips, it seemed so much fun. The Sun Dance gives people chance to be closer to each other. There are family members and friends that come to watch and support the dancers. Also, the preparation for the Sun Dance seems a lot of works because people need to gather wood, medicines, the site planned, offerings made, elders consulted, trees chosen, trees cut, and feast food made.

I found the Sun Dance is interesting, but I don’t think it is really connected to other books we have read. Of course aside from the Sun Dance, there are other elements which seemed to be connected to the other books we have read. Like the other books we have read, Green Grass Running Water portrayal of Native Americans (Lionel, Charlie, Eli, Alberta) struggling with their identities. Even though Green Grass Running Water is confusing to read, I find it is very unique because the way King arranged the contents in the book. King did a good job on portraying his characters struggling with the balance of the tradition and modernity. For example, Lionel and his way of living and because of that, people did not consider him a Native because he did not dress up like a Native did, plus his occupation was selling electronics. Moreover, King echoes the conflict by using an alternating narrative. The framework of the novel is provided by an unseen narrator who interacts with the trickster god, Coyote. These interchanges are based on the recollections of four elderly Native Americans of mythical origins.

For me, I found that the story was really hard to read. I did not understand the journeys of the four elders and what they were talking about. So, I focused on the modern characters and observed what they were struggling with. I think that this book is one of the books which I have to read again in order to fully understand the main concepts. However, based on what we discussed in class, I think that each of the story lines progress in a linear fashion using a realistic style. Also, the mystical statements throughout the novel represent how important of the oral traditions are to Native American culture and its perpetuation and as the story begins to climax, the mythical elements and the realistic elements overlap.

12. Andrew C. says:

The most interesting thing about King’s novel Green Grass, Running Water was the structure in which the novel was presented to us. I am used to reading very linear novels, and Green Grass, Running Water, is not even remotely close to being a linear novel. While this is the case, Green Grass, Running Water was not hard or confusing to read. When comparing the novel to the other works we have read in class it is important to notice the over-arching story of Green Grass, Running Water, of characters like Lionel and his new-found appreciation of his culture or Eli and his fortitude of staying in his mother’s log cabin at the the cost of being in the way of a ‘profitable dam project.’
    When focusing on the main stories found in Green Grass, Running Water, we can compare it to novels like Ravensong, Kiss of The Fur Queen, and In Search of April Raintree, primarily on the knowledge that the characters gain and receive a new-found respect, gained throughout the course of the novel, of their Indian culture. Another similarity between the novels was the presence of the trickster figure, the coyote in Green Grass, Running Water, or the Weesageechak, found in Kiss of the Fur Queen, or even the Raven in Ravensong. This trickster figure has been present in a majority of the novels we have read.
    I don’t think Green Grass, Running Water was any harder to read than the other novels that we have had to read throughout the course. While not being a linear narrative structure, the way King presented his stories came in a structured and repetitive manner through the book. Split in to four parts, each part tells a different story comparing Christian and Indian ‘mythological’ and religious stories, as well as containing the over-arching presence of characters like Alberta, Lionel, Dr. Hovaugh that is told in a much more straightforward manner.

13. cwcollie says:

After reading The Truth About Stories, it was exciting to start another Tom King novel. His commentary is often hilarious and the tone he uses is extremely original, he certainly has his own writing style. The fact that the four Indians were all named after very different heroes was genius, but I still am trying to figure out the symbolism in them! As the reader gets further into Green Grass, Running Water, all the different plot lines become more interesting and even become entangled in one another. I found each of the stories going on to be exciting, as they all brought different dilemmas and characters to the forefront. However, the most aggravating feature of the novel (and most interesting, as I have never encountered such a strategy) is the continuous interruption of the separate plots by the confusing dialogue between the Indians and Coyote. In the beginning (no pun intended), the strategy by King seemed very clever, as it keeps the individual stories separate and adds interesting dialogue. After getting into the thick of each story however, I found myself getting pissed off, as I simply wanted the stories to continue without interruption. And it is not appropriate interruption either. It felt like their dialogue became blabbering nonsense that I could not understand mixed with a whole lot of retelling of parts of stories that the reader had already heard. Although the stories were entertaining, the interruptions in Green Grass, Running Water left me with a fragmented memory of each character and also led to constantly being confused when a story picked up again. In that sense, I did find this book to be slightly more challenging just based on its form. As stated earlier Tom King’s style is very enjoyable and fun to read, but this original strategy of his was an epic fail in my eyes.
    This novel is certainly similar to most of the books we have read thus far as it contains certain myths (mythological characters) and the many challenges native peoples face in modern society. This book has its own trickster character, discusses the dream world, and has the reoccurring “crisis of identity” that has come up in nearly all the works read. For some reason I felt more connected to these characters problems than in previous books, probably due to a combination of King’s writing and how in depth he goes into a character.

14. Anne H. says:

The most interesting aspect of King’s novel was the way it was written in the aspect of time. It did not follow a linear direct telling, but bounced all around with many different storylines, characters and times. I love how it combined Coyote, typical Christian myths, and famous characters from literature, among typical everyday activities. His mockery of Christian and white faiths was very funny and really shows how ridiculous some of the things people truly believe, are. This book included the dream world, the trickster, and people’s identity with their heritage and race. Like in the other books there was a divide between “white world” and the reservation. Some characters crossed over into “white world” and had to endure the stigma that develops with that. Also a death in a family can cause a change of heart in one’s idea of their heritage, like Eli with his mother, and April with Cheryl.
    Green Grass Running Water was more challenging than the other books we’ve read because it wasn’t something you could just pick up and read for ten pages and put down. I had to read it in three big stints. Things did not become clear until I was way into the novel. Sometimes it was easy to get confused with storylines and characters, what Coyote and the four Indians were up to, but in the end it played itself out incredibly well, and the four Indians fixed everything as they always do. I made the mistake of telling my mom to read it, and now she calls with questions every couple days, lacking the background I have in this class!

15. Chelsea G. says:

The thing I found most interesting about Green Grass Running Water was the way the novel was crafted. I enjoyed how the structure of the novel began as several distinct threads that I was able to watch come together to form a single whole. I also enjoyed the way in which King worked with different preexisting stories, weaving them together and making something new. These two things allowed me to engage in the story in a way that I couldn’t with any of the other books we read so far. The straightforward, chronological structures of Ravensong, Kiss of the Fur Queen, and In Search of April Raintree place the reader in a position similar to looking at a painting, contemplating a finished piece. The more complex structure of Green Grass Running Water, though, allows the reader to place themselves in the the position where they are looking at the novel like a pile of puzzle pieces. King gives the reader all the pieces they need and some guidance on how to put them together, but in the end, King trusts the reader to find the meaning themselves. Since it was up to me to find the meaning in the story, I felt much more connected to it than I would have if I didn’t have to work for it. This book was more challenging to read than the ones we read before it. It took me a few pages to figure out who the narrator was. It is precisely this challenge that allowed me to engage in this book in a way that I couldn’t with the other books we read.
    While King’s use of structure and narrative is vastly different than those seen in the other books we’ve read, Green Grass Running Water does have thematic similarities to Ravensong, Kiss of the Fur Queen, and In Search of April Raintree. Ravensong was concerned with the interactions between White Town and the Reserve and the lasting results of these interactions. This theme can be seen in the way King merges the stories of white culture with those of native culture. King’s merging of stories exposes the flaws of white culture’s stories and the Four Indians see these flaws and try to fix them, just as Raven wanted Stacey to see the flaws of White Town and work to fix them. Kiss of the Fur Queen is concerned with native people’s ability to find spirituality in native traditions in a world dominated by the beliefs and values of white culture. This can be seen in Green Grass Running Water when Lionel goes to the Sun Dance. George represents white culture’s belief that there is nothing sacred in native traditions, saying “it’s not exactly sacred, is it? More like a campout or a picnic” (420). Lionel, who hasn’t been to the Sun Dance in years, defends the traditions of his people and reintegrates himself into native culture just as Jeremiah, who had once said that there was no native religion, defended native traditions when Gabriel was dying in the hospital. Both men defended what they held sacred from the white culture that dismissed their culture as unimportant. In Search of April Raintree is concerned with the way in which native people are discriminated against in the courts. April and Cheryl are taken away from their parents because the courts decide that it is what is best for them. In Green Grass Running Water, the dam is built on native land against the will of the native people. Just as the courts claimed that April and Cheryl would be better off away from their parents, the dam was claimed to be an improvement for the native people, a step towards the future. In both books, discrimination exists under a veil of claims of improvement and good intentions.

16. Lauren K. says:

I think the most interesting aspect of King’s novel was how the book jumped around to different stories. I really liked how there were different stories throughout the book and then they all connected at the end. Everyone in the book was connected in one way or another. I really like how King did this. It made the book kind of confusing, but at the same time forced me to pay close attention. In this way I feel that I got more out of the book because I had to pay such close attention. In reading someone’s else response to this prompt they said they did not like the interruptions during the story. I differ in my response. I liked the interruptions by coyote and the four narrators. It made the story unpredictable and I liked it. It kept me on my toes when I was reading. I also really liked how the four narrators were characters from another show and when they started telling a story, parts of their own story came into “Green Grass, Running Water.” An example of this is during the story about Moby Dick and Moby Jane. Even though all of these aspects I feel added to the story, I feel that it also made this book more challenging to read then the other books we have had to read in this class. This story does connect to all the other books we have read though. They all stay constant with the theme of trying to get back in touch with your native life. It’s hard to balance a white life and native life. All the characters in the books we have read have been struggling with this issue. In the end though most of the characters have gotten back in touch with the native past at least to some extent.

17. Elizabeth C says:

To me the most interesting aspect of Green Grass, Running Water was the way the characters talked. It was also the most frustrating part of the book. The author wrote the dialogue such that it was continually disjointed and interrupted.
    “In the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep –” “Wait a minute,” said Robinson Crusoe. “Yes?” “That’s the wrong story,” said Ishmael.

These interruptions were annoying and I never got used to them.

“You know,” said Sifton, “I could have had the big project in Quebec.” “Hear they think the earth is moving under the dam.” “But I said no. I want to do the job in Alberta. That’s what I said.[...]” “You know, I always thought Indians were elegant speakers.” “Storm’s coming.”

These interruptions left me with only fractured memories of the characters. For some characters I can barely remember exactly what they cared about, or why we were reading about them in the first place. This style of writing is difficult to work through, particularly when I was reading the book through the first time. But it is fitting. Miscommunication, due to an unwillingness to listen, between Indians and Whites continues to cause fractures in the relationship that exists between our two cultures. People need to listen to each other so that we can build something constructive, not wedges to drive into cracks that already exist.

18. Ali V. says:

I found the overall structure of Green Grass, Running Water to be one of the most interesting aspects of this novel. I thought that it was a really unique structure and it made the book slightly more challenging to read than the other works that we have read. Because of the different storylines that worked their way through the novel, it made reading this book slightly challenging to follow at first. However, the reader starts to get used to the narrative structure and it is through this structure that the reader fully understands the deeper meanings beneath the texts. It is through the overlapping and interconnected storylines that are being told that the reader understands more about the individual characters and about how these characters relate to one another. I found this to be challenging at first because I had trouble following the different storylines and keeping track of them. Also, I did not understand that the four Indians who escaped from the institution were the same storytellers who were telling the different versions of the creation story during my first read. However, after reflecting more on the book and going back to certain sections, I found the fact that these four individuals were the same in both cases to be really interesting and intriguing. Also, I felt as though this really added a different dimension to the book as a whole because it forces the reader to become more involved in the storytelling process because they need to work harder to follow the overall path of the narrative.
    I found the different creation stories to be one of the other most interesting aspects of King’s novel. This really interested me because it reminded me of The Truth About Stories. It is in The Truth About Stories that we first learned that the way in which a story is told can be changed and altered to fit different audiences and to keep the actual story from being repetitive but the overall meaning behind the story never changes. This was also true in Green Grass, Running Water, because the creation story was told in different contexts and with different characters and with different narrators in each section of the book but the reader still got the overall same ideas and messages out of each version.
    This book connects to the other books in the course because it places heavy emphasis on many of the native mythological themes that are touched upon in the other novels. For example, the use of Coyote as the trickster figure brings about this common theme that appears in many of the novels touched upon throughout the semester. The Coyote plays a heavier role in Green Grass, Running Water than in some of the other books that we have read. It is through Coyote and the Four Indians that the reader is exposed to another common theme that keeps reappearing throughout these novels, which is the power of storytelling. The four Indians and Coyote often debate about the way in which the story should be told and this shows that the storytelling process is very important to the interpretation of the story itself. Although the overall meaning behind the story will remain the same, there may be different interpretations that can result by making alterations in the storytelling process. This is one of the reoccurring themes that is touched upon in many of the novels we have covered throughout the semester.