Introductions

I meant to post this early last week, but better late than never!

Let’s get started with our blogging by introducing ourselves to each other. We’re going to be spending a lot of time together this semester, so it will help to know a bit more about all of our classmates.

Tell us a bit about yourself.  What is your major?  Where are you from?  What prompted you to take this course? What are you hoping to achieve by taking this class?  Do you have any connections to Canada or any Native ancestry?

For your privacy, please use only your first name and last initial when introducing yourself and when responding to blog prompts. You are not required to divulge here anything that you don’t want to reveal, but also feel free to be as open as you like. So long as our discussion on this board is respectful of others and follows the rules of etiquette we would use in a face-to-face setting, I hope that you feel free to speak your mind on our course blog.

This entry was posted in assignments, discussions. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Introductions

1. Peter Cullen says:

Hello all,

My name Is Peter C and I’m a senior here at UVM. I major in business with a concentration in Entrepreneurship and hope to bring my degree back to New York where I’m from. I am from Long Island but intend on living in the city for a few years after college. I took Professor Martin’s Canadian Literature class last semester and enjoyed reading about the many different cultures of Canada. I thought it was easy to relate to many of the books since they were written in the past 5 years. I hope to learn a bit more about the native writers and how the racism is different from those of other colors. Since Canada is a diverse nation how are they dealing with the natives now? I do not exactly have a connection to Canada but I grew up playing hockey and always knew how it’s a way of life there. My first time in Canada for a ski trip I was playing hockey on the pond everyday which made me realize how meaningful the sport is to the nation.

2. Jeff S says:

Hello, I’m Jeff, I’m a junior and an english major AND I’m from Saratoga Springs NY. I decided to take this course because I had no idea what to expect, and that intrigued me. Now that I’m in it, and have more of a sense of what it’s about, I’m hoping to be able develop a greater understanding of the First Nations and know what they’re all about today, as opposed to 400 years ago. What I would really love to achieve in this class is to learn from First Nations literature, to see another perspective and add it’s wisdom to my own life. My only connections to Canada are some super awesome trips, a strong desire to learn Quebecois french, and a love for the wilderness (I’ve only really been to the Alaskan wilderness but it’s similar to northwestern canada).

3. Rachael says:

I am a junior at UVM. I’m an Art History major and my minor is in Psychology. I am the youngest of five children, born and raised on a small farm in Vermont. I’ve taken a few years off of school to live and travel throughout the Rocky Mountains and all over the west coast but am happy to be back in VT. I have always been drawn toward Native American literature and philosophies, history, culture and was psyched to see that this course was being offered. I certainly recognize an idealized version of “The Native American” and was reminded of that today when discussing the “imaginary” or “phantom” native. The image that non-natives continue to perpetuate and support in a romanticized fashion. I am interested in getting to know the reality of the political and cultural situation for Natives in Canada today. Looking forward to it.

4. cwcollie says:

Hey everyone, I’m Connor and I am a sophomore here at UVM. My major is English and my minor is business, but who knows what I want to do with my life after I recieve my degrees. I was born and raised in Newtown, Connecticut and my parents still live there. I am the youngest of 5 children, so all my siblings are pretty much out of the house. To be honest, I just signed up for this course because I did not know what else to sign up for. However, the readings and class discussions have been pretty awesome thus far. I have never really learned about native peoples’ literature, so this course is new and exciting to me. My goal is to simply learn more about their literature and motives. As far as I know, I have no connections to Canadian or Native ancestry.

5. Anne H. says:

Hi everybody! My name is Anne, and I’m a junior who should be a senior because I took the year off after freshman year. I am from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and am a history major and English minor. I’d like to be a museum curator or a fiction editor. I thought this class looked very interesting and was excited when it was available. I took a Canadian history class last year and was incredibly interesting in the indigenous people of the area. I can’t wait to read more of their literature. I have no connections to Canada and have never even been there! I hope to gain even more perspective about the lives and lifestyles of the indigenous people of Canada because it’s unbelievable how ignorant we are of our neighbors!

6. Kaleigh M says:

Hey, I’m Kaleigh. I’m currently a Junior at UVM; English major and Dance minor. I’m from New York but have been living in Vermont for 2 years now. I took this class because I thought it would be interesting to learn a little something about our sister country. I was even more excited to find out that this course would fill a requirement for my ever-approaching English diploma. However, I had no idea that we would be dealing with Native Americans with such focus and I must say that this class is much better than I had anticipated (no offense Paul!). I am extremely interested in native communities and their modern roles within society and am excited to learn more through this course. I do not have any native ancestry and thus have lots of space to fill within my knowledge of native people.

7. Andrew C. says:

Hello, my name is Andrew. I am from Sheldon, VT and I have lived there my entire life. I am a sophomore with a major in Secondary Education with a concentration in English. I am taking this course as both a diversity and an english requirement. At first, I was a little skeptical about taking a course on Canadian literature, but the thought grew on me. I have never had much of an interest with Canada, despite its proximity to my hometown. If I were to drive to the interstate the Canadian border is only about fifteen minutes from my house. There are several other places to cross the border close to my hometown, and the thought of how close a completely different culture was to me never crossed my mind. I am looking forward to learning more about Canadian literature and culture. My father’s family has some native ancestry that I learned about when I was a child, but that information never seemed important to me. I look forward to learning more about a place that has been so close in proximity to me for my entire life.

8. Joe A. says:

Hi all.

I’m a native Vermonter in my last semester of an Environmental Studies and English double major. I took Vermont literature last semester, and the class explored the relationship between Vermont and Quebec culture, literature, and mythology. That led me to this class. Plus it fulfills a D2 requirement. I am interested in Native culture from an ENVS perspective (ecological knowledge, environmental ethics, etc) and from an English perspective (myth-making, oral traditions, the preservation of cultural knowledge).

Mmmm, and I love skiing (in Canada? anywhere, really.)

9. Ashley S. says:

Hi, I’m Ashley. I’m a junior psychology major and an English minor, but I have no idea what I’m going to do after finish my degree. I’m from East Hardwick, Vermont, about an hour and a half east of here. I took this course because I was browsing through classes that fit into requirements I still needed and this one seemed like it could be interesting. I like reading, especially if it’s not typical textbooks, so I thought I’d enjoy it. As for what I’d like to achieve, I’d like to read some modern and interesting books and maybe get a broader perspective on someone else’s cultural views. I myself am not Canadian or Native, but I really appreciate diversity and enjoy learning about other cultures and hearing other peoples stories.

10. Chelsea G. says:

Hi, I’m Chelsea and I’m a senior. My major is English and my minor is linguistics. I’m from a small town in South-East Connecticut. I decided to take this class because the novels on the book list looked interesting. I like to take classes that introduce me to new literatures and I’m hoping that this class will help me to broaden my understanding of literature. I do not have any connections to Canada or any Native ancestry that I’m aware of.

11. Shelley M. says:

Hi Everyone, I am a non-traditional senior majoring in Art History major with English minor. I am a native Vermonter from down the road in Williston. Supposedly my mother’s family has some Abenaki / French-Canadian heritage, but more than likely it is family folklore because no genealogy research has been done. I am taking this class to fulfill an elective and because I am interested in Canadian literature and art as well as native peoples stories.

12. Katie C. says:

Hey guys, I’m Katie. I’m a sophomore here at UVM studying Secondary English Education with a Special Education Minor. Originally I’m from Brooklyn, NY, lived there basically my whole life. Because of my English concentration, taking as many English courses as I can while I’m here is important. This class, however, sparked my interest because of the history that Natives have and the incredible stories that I have always heard from, and about them. Learning about their history and how they’ve overcome the struggles that they have faced is not only interesting, but also inspiring and I really feel having the knowledge of their strength and background will be hugely beneficial for myself. I do not have any direct connection with Canadians or Natives that I know of, but I was adopted from Colombia so if there is some Native blood running through my veins I would not be surprised. I’m very excited to take this course with all you and can’t wait to read and learn what I can.
    See ya

13. Susan T. says:

Hey everyone! I’m Susan. I am a Junior, Middle-Level Education Major, from Burlington, VT (been here my whole life). I took this course to help me fulfill one of my concentrations, however it did also seem interesting to me. I also took another English class here at UVM that dealt with Natives (English 57, or something like that, I think). I wanted to see how this one was different since it was specified to Canada. I am looking forward to learning about their history and what their lives entailed. My maternal grandfather was born in Canada, but I don’t think I have any native ancestry.

14. Ali V. says:

Hi everyone! My name is Ali and I am a Junior in the Environmental Studies Department with a concentration in Policy and Development. I am a student in the Rubenstein School and I love being outside. I am from Yarmouthport, Massachusetts, which is a small town located in Cape Cod and I spent most of my childhood on the beach. I decided to take this course because I wanted to learn about how the indigenous peoples of Canada exhibit environmental awareness through their cultural traditions and everyday practices. Also, I wanted to take a course that was different from the other classes I have taken at UVM. I am very interested in the relationship that indigenous peoples are portrayed as having with the environment and I hope to learn more about this throughout the semester. Although I do not have any direct connections to Canada or any Native ancestry, I find this topic to be very interesting and I look forward to gaining a better understanding of this subject matter through the various stories we will be reading. In this course, I hope to learn more about the different techniques exhibited in the Native writings as well as the motivation these writers had to portray various stories with the written word. Because I do not have a background in this material, I am hoping to learn more about the history behind each piece of writing. Also, I hope to start making connections between the different stories even though each one will be unique. I am most excited to take this course because I will be able to read works by authors who I probably would not have been exposed to otherwise. In many of the courses I have taken at UVM, I have been exposed to the more science based background of the environmental studies field and I feel as though this course will help me to see the social aspect of the environment. I have really enjoyed the stories we have read so far and I look forward to the ones we will continue to read throughout the semester!

15. Xinh Xinh N. says:

Hi everyone, my name is Xinh Xinh and I am a junior at UVM. My major is Biology and my minor is English. I love kids, so in the future; I want to be a pediatrician or a researcher that specializes in oncology. I am originally from Vietnam and I have been in the U.S. for six and a half years; because of this, my English is not perfect, so I hope you don’t mind. I live with my uncle’s family in Williston for the summer, but during the school year, I live in the dorms and during winter break, I travel to North Carolina to visit my parents. I love reading and English has been one of my favorite subjects; and because of this, I decided to choose English as a minor. The reason I wanted to take this class because I want to learn more about Canadian Literature and I think it is fascinating to learn about a different literature which is unique from your own. Well, the answer is partly true and it is not really honest. This class fits my schedule and it fulfills my English minor requirement. As far as this class goes, it is not what I had expected. I feel like I am in a history class which I am learning about the Native American history rather than I am in an English class. However, as I learn about the Native history, I find that it is beautiful and the people had come a long way. The background helps me understand how the Native Literature has influenced Canadian Literature throughout time. In order to understand Canadian Literature, I need to understand where it comes from.

My family originates from Vietnam, so I don’t have any connections to Canada or any Native ancestry. I think that Canada is a great country and its literature is unique since there is so much history. I am excited to learn, and I am thrilled to read all the books from the Native writers. I hope that by the end of this semester, I would be able understand more about Canadian Literature as well as the Native history. I also want to have good grade and on top of that, I want to be able to enjoy the class and have fun with it.

16. Lauren K. says:

Hi, I’m Lauren. My major is Elementary Education with a major concentration in English. I was born in St. Clair Shores, Michigan, but have lived in Vermont for the last eleven years. I’m from Barton, Vermont. I’m taking this course because I needed to take an English elective and this course sounded interesting. I never have read any native stories and it is something that I am interested in learning more about. I’m hoping by taking this course I can learn more about Native Americans in Canada and learn more about their stories. So far I am really like what we are reading. I like hearing about the different creation stories since I am going used to hearing about the Genesis story. I do not have any connections to Canada or native ancestry.