Here is the full itinerary for our upcoming field trip to Ottawa (10/21-23)
• Depart from south side of Waterman Building (College Street) at 7:00 AM sharp. Participants will arrive no later than 6:45 in order to assure a prompt departure, because Parliament won’t wait for us (and we won’t wait for you). Students ought to be dressed for Parliament (i.e. “business attire” -jackets and ties for men) because there is no time/place to change once we are on the bus. We will plan on arriving at St. Michael’s at 7:05 to pick up the St. Mike’s group.
• Brief lunch at the Rideau Centre in Ottawa before walking over to Parliament.
• Walk to Parliament for tours and to go up the Peace Tower and view the Memorial Chamber (if time allows). Tours for Massell students (Group A) are at 12:15. Tours for Ayres and Martin students (Group B) are at 12:30.
• 2:00-3:00: Attend Question Period
• 3:00-4:30: Meet with MPs in room 209 West Block.
• Group photo outside of Parliament.
• 5:30: Quick group meeting after checking in at the Lord Elgin.
• Dinner on your own.
Friday, October 22:
• Breakfast on your own.
• 9:00-3:30: Tours of the Grand Hall and Canada Hall at the Canadian Museum of Civilization and tour of Canadian art at the National Gallery of Canada. Group A will report to Lord Elgin lobby by 8:45 AM and bus will leave for Museum of Civilization at 9:00 (9:30 tour). Group B will report to Lord Elgin lobby by 9:15 AM and bus will leave for Museum of Civilization at 9:30 (10:00 tour).
• Lunch on your own at Museum of Civilization before heading to National Gallery. Group A and B leave for National Gallery at 12:30 PM (1:00 tour).
• 3:30: Both buses leave National Gallery for Carleton University.
• 4:00-6:00: Author reading and reception with Richard Harrison
• 6:45: Bus leaves for hockey game, Ottawa 67s vs. the Brampton Battalion at Ottawa Civic Centre.
Saturday, October 23:
• Breakfast on your own. Morning free for shopping, sightseeing, touring, etc.
• Check out of Lord Elgin by 12:30 PM.
• 1:00: Buses depart from Lord Elgin. Arrive in Burlington around 5:00 PM.
PARTICIPANTS SHOULD NOTE:
Crossing the border: A passport, passport card, or enhanced driver’s license is now required to cross the US-Canadian border. Students will need to present such documentation before boarding the bus.
Dress Code: Dress is “business attire” Thursday, and “neat and clean” Friday. In general, pack for chilly weather.
Money and Food: We will provide refreshments at the Carleton reception and vouchers for concession food at the hockey game. $75 – 100US should cover other meals. We strongly suggest that students exchange at least some of this at a local Burlington bank (including the Chittenden bank inside the Davis Center) before October 21. You may want to bring a few snacks.
Ground Rules: Attendance and participation at all scheduled activities is required. “Downtime” is your own. Be very aware that your conduct and actions represent UVM, St. Mike’s, Vermont, and the USA. We expect and require nothing but the most respectful and responsible behavior while you are on the trip.
Students who violate the UVM or St. Mike’s student codes of conduct during the trip will be asked to leave the trip and return home by their own means. We have done this before and will not hesitate to do it again. These incidents have been incredibly rare in the over fifty-year history of this trip. The students from Vermont have a stellar reputation with the Lord Elgin Hotel, the House of Commons, and every other institution we visit. Each year, our students are recognized as being great ambassadors for the United States. You do not want to be the person who breaks our very successful record in Ottawa. If you do, we may just feed you to this giant spider at the National Gallery…