Hometown Sense of Place Assignment

For my Thanksgiving break I traveled back to my hometown of Pennington, New Jersey- just fifteen minutes out of Princeton. This was my first time revisiting where I grew up and currently live since I left to attend the University of Vermont, so I did not know exactly what to expect. There are a multitude of factors that all contributed to my connection to my town, and throughout the break I took note of them. The very first thing that I noticed when I left the airport was how much warmer it was, and although I usually enjoy colder weather- the humid, heavy air of New Jersey felt welcoming to me. As soon as we took our exit off the highway, I immediately felt a massive sense of relief flush over my body- I had returned home. Pennington is smaller in scale than most towns, but is packed relatively close together. I would describe the immediate environment as suburban, yet there are plenty of natural forests within the vicinity where i’ve hiked, fished, and biked. I believe that this is somewhat similar to UVM in that there are numerous different recreational environmental areas all within biking range of campus. My town is reminiscent of the colonial era in America- and thus it has been dubbed, “Historical Pennington,” as displayed on banners around town. A large percentage of the homes and buildings in Pennington were built hundreds of years ago, and instead of tearing them down, the towns people decided to refurbish them. For example, my home was built around the middle of the 19th century but still stands in good condition to this day. However my strong sense of place for Pennington does not lie solely in the architecture and environmental surroundings- is also lies in the people and community. Having the opportunity to see my family and friends over the break truly made me realize how much people can impact your health and your well-being. Whilst mostly everyone at UVM is understanding and compassionate, I feel that I haven’t been there long enough for my friends to have a whole-hearted understanding of who I am at my core. Returning to my loved ones who understand my personality, sense of humor, and faults was extremely refreshing to me- and I feel like I have a more defined image of who I am because of it. Overall, I feel that my sense of place in Pennington positively impacts my mental health, and I am truly excited for when I’ve spent enough time exploring Vermont to feel a strong sense of place there; for place-attachment plays a large role in day to day life. If one feels like they belong in a certain area, they are far more likely to be happier and more productive. Thus, one day I hope to call Vermont my home.