City Nature Challenge

Over these four-day urban BioBlitz Challenge I explored the following areas:

• Down by Lake Champlain (Waterfront Park)
  • University of Vermont Campus
  • Main Street

My Experience: My overall experience using iNaturalist was fun. I had used it previously in the past but I had never used it to be apart of an overall challenge. I think it is a fun way to get people more interested and invested in their environment. It also made me more conscious about nature in the city landscape rather than just when i’m walking in natural areas. I still love how convenient the app is when trying to identify a specific species and it always sparks my curiosity seeing what other species people have found in my area. As I reviewed the reports from other incoming cities I found it funny how dandelions were one of the most common overall. It was not one of the first species that would come into my mind if someone were to ask me that question, yet they are everywhere! I think I have gotten so used to seeing them, I don’t even think much of them, but once I read the report it made me laugh! My overall experience with the app and challenge was delightful!

As I participated in the challenge I found many species including the following:

• Eastern Grey Squirrels
  • Seagulls
  • Ants
  • Red Maples
  • Eastern White Pine
  • Green Ash
  • Hackberry
  • Rhododendrons
  • Daffodils
  • Dandelions
  • Juniper
Dandelion
Rhododendrons
Red Maple Buds
Ant Hill & Ants
Seagulls in Sky