Last Time Visiting This Site!

April 24, 2023

Today I visited my phenology spot (and tree) for a final time this semester. I am definitely starting to see some spring phenological changes! This site was super bare and there was not a lot to see when I went in the middle of the winter. Almost all of the trees lost their leaves, which meant I was mostly looking at twigs and branches, as well as woody brush. Today however, I saw some color and life come back into the forest! Many of the trees have begun budding or flowering, with some in the area also producing berries. The red maple I have been following is finally starting to flower, which is really exciting after all this time! Some of the buds were fully flowering and some of them were just budding. The area is very wooded so there are still plenty of twigs and branches to see, but it is refreshing to see flowers growing and leaves starting to reappear. There are plenty of fallen trees and branches throughout the woods, so it is possible that some are new and a result of recent spring storms.

Some of the nearby landmarks that I have become familiar with since visiting this site are the golf course and the UVM barns and farming area, because they are both on the way. To be honest, I did not even know the Country Club existed right off of campus until I visited this place. Another minor landmark could be the signs marking the path that I take to get to the wooded area, since that is how I know I am going the right way. I think that nature and culture intertwine at this site because it is so close to the University, and also is surrounded by a lot of residential homes. Every time I visit I see so many people walking, biking, or running on the path, some students and some not. Also a lot of people walk their dogs around the area! I think it is nice to see a variety of people sharing the outdoor space. I would consider myself part of this place now because I walk down that way whenever I need to take a break from homework or go for a walk. It is easy to get to and familiar, which is something I can really appreciate on rough days. While it is not the most unique natural area and is definitely not extravagant, I have grown to love the simplicity of the nature there.