Check-in on the Red Maple :)

April 13, 2023

Visited my wonderful tree again today! To my surprise, she was not looking very different from the last visit. While plenty of the trees around were flowering and fruiting, my red maple was still just buds. But the buds on the twigs did seem to be more open to me, so hopefully that means we are almost ready to start flowering! Here is what they looked like:

I am definitely ready to start seeing some flowers and changes!! It was such a nice day and week that I was really hoping the trees would be as ready for summer as I am. But like I said, many of the other species around were full of flowers and berries! I guess the red maple flowers a little later. I saw a lot of white flowers that looked very fluffy, and some other green flowers too. There were still berries on some of the trees, but they definitely are on their last leg. The ones I noticed today were dark, a blue or purple color. Many of the other species that do not lose their leaves looked much greener today too! I also saw some evidence of animals, finding a caterpillar on the walk there and seeing a tree full of woodpecker holes. I am excited to see nature thrive in the upcoming seasons!!

My iNaturalist post! I decided to say “no evidence of flowering but will be budding soon” because I am really hopeful that the tree will be!!