NR1 Local Phenology Blog

A UVM Blog

December 11th

Snow blankets most of my area and Centennial Brook has a thin slushy layer of ice forming on its surface. There is no longer any discernible movement from the creek chubs (semotilus atromaculatus) among the leaf litter lining the bottom of the brook. There was a surprising lack of tracks on the snow in my location. Aside from some large boot tracks and domestic dog paw prints cutting through my location I could not identify anything other than the signs of clumps of snow falling from trees. I even ventured deeper into the shrubs located to the North of my chosen location and found no tracks. The lack of birdsong was also something that I noted while sitting at my location.

Plant life is going through into its winter phase. All deciduous woody plants have lost leaves and the only green that remains comes from the hemlocks and white pines that encompass my location. I was surprised while walking in the shrubs to find some green ferns peeking through the snow. These ferns surviving lines up with the Naturally Curious classification that the leaves would persist in Decmeber. Another surprising thing that I noted was how green and healthy the lichen on a log looked. This led me to research the temperature tolerance levels of lichen. It can survive and even photosynthesize in subzero temperatures!