Human Capital: Colchester, Vermont

Up until recently, human capital was not even considered as a factor in classic, orthodox economics.  In class and from class readings, it was defined as the “General education background, labor market experience, artistic development and appreciation, health, and other skills and experiences” (Green & Haines). Upon first learning about human capital, and how its means of measurement can have an effect on the community, I immediately thought of the Colchester School District school system.

There are over 16,000 people currently living in Colchester, Vermont. Being such a small town relative to our surrounding, Colchester was really able to really unite the town through the background of our general educational system, appreciation, development and many more. There are no colleges in the town, so our town relies heavily on the success of the public schooling system. It allows the school to offer amazing opportunities for their students from Elementary up to High School because it is backed with the support of the community members.

For example, in high school I took part in the week long MedQuest Program at UVM, became a youth soccer referee for the Colchester Parks and Rec. Program ,  and volunteered for TopSoccer. These opportunities were made possible to me because Colchester High School gave me the resources and tools that helped bring about awareness and the importance of community. The school gave me the ability to experience things I truly cared about and had a huge impact on my future. Had I not have done the MedQuest program, I would have never of gotten the experience to know going into college that it was something I wasn’t truly interested in. I am currently an Economics major here at UVM, and I am extremely interested in pursuing a career in Business finance with a focus in sustainability management.

Sources Cited: Green, Gary P., and Anna Haines. Asset Building & Community Development. Los Angeles: Sage Publication, 2008. Print.