The Sound Effect

The craft of podcasting can be a very detailed and complicated one. Well, at least for me it seems that way. When I listen to a podcast, which in all honesty I haven’t done a whole lot, I tend to think of it as just a one time interview that may have minimal editing and then it is released on the air. But this is not true in the slightest.

The art of podcasting is complex. It takes a lot of planning, organizing and overall thought to create an efficient podcast. Being that a podcast relies solely on audio stimuli, it is limited in what it can do. This again reiterates the need for much thought to be put behind its creation. One of the most useful tools in creating a podcast is to exploit the power of sound.

Sound can come in many forms. The sound of one’s voice. Whether is be soft or harsh, quiet or loud. The pitch can create a specific mood for the listener: excitement, suspense, tranquility, comfort, anticipation, etc. Sound can also be used with sound effects. One can use sound effects to illustrate certain actions: the hammering of a nail, the swing of a bat, the sound of a crowd, etc. This can create more realistic imagery within the listener. Lastly, music is quite possibly the most powerful use of sound that can be used within a podcast.

Within the Invisibilia podcast episode called True You, the most efficient use of sound that I recognized was the use of music. In both stories, music was utilized as both a mood setter and as a point of transition. The music would alter from happy to something a bit more darker to indicate a change from positive to negative was about to happen or vice versa. Music was also used with questions. After the narrator would ask a question, music would appear or change if it was already being used to que in the answer.

At the end of the episode they ended with the song lyrics, “What you know, what you know about me?” Which went along with the whole idea of the episode: the true selves we tend to repress.