Digital Personality

With the fruition of the new digital age, one of the many positive side effects has been the birth of new creative mediums. One has the ability to display their creative intellect and its products to the entire world in ways that were never possible in the past. Apart from the conjunction of social media, one such way is by creating a website. By creating a website, one can use the website as a means to not only showcase their art in a tasteful way, but also their personality and life story. With this being said, one can see the creation of a website as a piece of art within itself.

Now, as a predecessor to creating my own website, it was important to study and observe some examples that efficiently function in their objectives. One that stood out to me in achieving this was a multimedia site. It was created by Jimmy Chin to display all of his creative avenues in which he portrays the natural beauty and excitement that entails his adventurous lifestyle. Being that he uses both photography and videos, I was interested in how he would set up his site in a tasteful way that wasn’t  overly dressed to impress. 

Upon visiting his site and exploring its features, I realized that Jimmy seems to have value in simplicity and efficiency.  The home page was as simple as it be. One eye catching picture of a snow covered mountain, who’s jagged white tips surpass the clouds, made up the background with three sub-links going across it: one titled ‘motion’ for his videos, another titled ‘about’ that gives Jimmy’s background story on how he became a photographer/ filmmaker and his achievements, and lastly the third titled ‘still’ showing Jimmy’s photography. 

It seems that Jimmy’s stylistic taste is a minimalist one, which he makes up for in his audacious lifestyle. In my opinion, the minimalist approach to his site does the more to expose the thrill/eye catching beauty he enjoys during his adventures. I personally found this to be inspiring and even relatable because I enjoy simplicity and have the aspiration to one day live adventurously, although I don’t see myself ever skiing Mt. Everest (as Jimmy has).

When I moved my cursor over the sub-links, a mini slideshow would appear highlighting some of the media within it. For instance, when I put the cursor over the ‘still’ sub-link’ some of his images would start to flash across the screen, and when I put it over ‘motion’, a small trailer for one of his videos started to play. I also found this to be effective for it made it more engaging for the user. Then once I fully clicked on the sub-links I was able to scroll through and easily choose what I wanted to view or watch. The background color was white, which may be seen as boring to some, but with the sharp colors captured in his media, it makes no difference. I’d even say the plain white background is a nice offset to the sharp colors captured by Jimmy. Overall, as I said earlier, Jimmy achieves great efficiency through his use of simplicity.