Date #2 with Evangeline

After a thrilling maple sugaring lab on the 23rd, Lauren Elise and I broke off to visit our Rock Point Phenology Spots. Walking over, mud and melting snow bogged down my every step, and the cold rain continued to mist up my glasses. Although we were all cold, wet, and slightly miserable, it felt for the first time as though the world had an “idea” of Spring. Just listen to those happy birds!

A very happy Northern Cardinal

When we arrived to the spot, Lake Champlain was a fog of calm water, and fresh moss green had covered every spare log, tree, or rock. 

Misty Lake Champlain

My lovely Evangeline was looking quite dapper as ever in her new mossy green coat.  

After some research, I discovered that this type of moss is known as “Twisted Moss” which is a species of Syntrichia. It also has the colloquial name of “Star Moss,” (which I find to be highly romantic.)

In addition to her new look, Evangeline’s buds were also beginning to look slightly more… robust? I spotted a hint of green on one of them, which seemingly confirmed my suspicion that Evangeline was getting revved up for Springtime. 

Other than those two differences, Evangeline remains as stately and beautiful as ever.