Basic Plant Biology

Throughout my search for an appropriate article, I stumbled upon an article called Battle of the Sexes: How Inhibition of a male flower production lets a female flowers emerge. This article was written by Bar-llan University and was published by Science Daily on the 30th of November of the year 2015. In the article it described how plants have specific genes which have now been found by plant biologist which help in the plant’s sex determination. As a result, scientist have been able to concentrate the key plant enzyme which allows for male plants to become females. This, through this knowledge scientists are trying to manipulate a flower’s sexual identity at will because by directing a flower’s sexual identity at will we can benefit from it by influencing crop yields.  This topic relates to the course that I am taking because we are currently learning about the reproductive progresses of flowering plants.  This is also very useful information for myself because it will help me better understand the importance of plant reproduction when dealing with food systems. I was able to find this article on Science Daily’s internet page, which is as follows,  https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/11/151130111253.htm.

One thought on “Basic Plant Biology