Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do, or Do without.
There are some things that we can’t really do without. But good old Yankee thrift pains me every time I have to replace printer consumables.
I have a Brother HL-3070CW color laser printer at home, which I really like. I selected it specifically because it has an optional straight-through printing path, to reduce curl on heavier stock.
I’ve also discovered that it reports being out of toner based on page count or something, rather than a measure of actual toner remaining. I found two ways to make sure I get the most from my toner cartridges.
First, I found that there’s a menu for resetting the state of toner in the printer.
- Open the top cover
- Press the Cancel and Secure Print buttons together to bring up the toner menu
- Use the + and – buttons to select the toner cartridge to reset, and press OK (twice). Each color (CMYK) has two options, one each for standard and high capacity cartridges.
- When finished, closed the top cover.
In addition, it’s very easy to reset the physical switch on the toner cartridge, as shown in this short video:
Very easy to do.
(Both procedures from http://www.fixyourownprinter.com/forums/laser/39806 )
I’ve used the menu reset option several times, and I haven’t seen any problems with toner coverage on my printed pages.
When I do need to replace the cartridge, I have found the best prices on Amazon and NewEgg.
- Backup issues
- Shared folder quotas
- Printer configurations
- Data execution protection
I created a Server 2008 x64 guest for managing 64-bit drivers on our shared printers. It works much better than trying to use Printer Management MMC in RSAT on Windows 7.
One hiccup I ran into while install the Ricoh PCL6 Driver for Universal Print was that it was missing a file. Fortunately, I had also download and extracted the non-universal PCL6 drivers and the file was present in the drivers for the corresponding platforms (x86, x64).
Looking at adding a –WhatIf switch parameter to my SharePoint Backup powershell script. Useful info at Negating PowerShell switch parameters.
Now wrestling with Task Scheduler and PowerShell invocation syntax.
We’ve been working with our backup vendor to address some shortcomings of their product as it relates to Windows 2008 system recover. This was precipitated by a failure of a portion of our virtual infrastructure, which lead to corruption of several hosts’ virtual disk files.
We managed to rebuild one failed host from bare (virtual) metal, because EMC Networker could not recover the system from backups. For Server 2008 systems, they require backups made with client 7.5.1 and restored with 7.5.1 and you have to enable/install any server role that was present on the original system before performing the restore.
We’ve been working on other ways to make sure we can recover from a system failure. Greg has successfully scripted using server 2008’s printer management scripts to dump printer info to files. I’ve been working on scripted backup of SharePoint Site collections. I got some help from Microsoft in determining the correct permissions needed for a service account to perform STSADM backup operations, which has been a thorny issue. ( see KB896148 )
Need to expand storage on WinDB; Kent is working on the FC storage.
Documentation regarding printer installation. Added a How-To wiki library to the AD Sharepoint Site, and added instruction for installing a printer by Finding a printer in the directory.
Disks on WinDB are successfully expanded.
Expanded the printer documentation.
Quite a bit of work confirming the functionality of NTFRS for SYSVOL: correlated GP GUIDs and Names; looked into a couple of orphaned policy folders; looked through deletedObjects container. Couldn’t find any policies pointing to those orphaned GUIDs.
Fixed Samsung printer duplex issue.
Registered for Mastering the Maze. I note that Greg is doing a couple of presentations, and Carol, Ben, and Henrietta are also covering technology topics.
Began review of Certificate Services migration process: