It’s Official…Spring has Sprung!!!

I was in a rush this visit so I sadly didn’t get to explore as much as I wanted to. As I’m sure we all have noticed, the grass is greening, trees are budding and birds are chirping; these are all signs that spring has officially sprung. One plant that I have spotted around Centennial Woods and in Burlington is Daffodils. These flowers are known for blooming in late winter, early spring and are part are some of the early signs of spring emerging. I sadly did not see any animals but heard many birds chirping. I heard calls from Sparrows, Cardinals, Red-winged Blackbirds and many more.

Lalumia, E. (2021)
Lalumia, E. (2021)

I have attached my best try at a small species interaction diagram that I made based on my spot. It shows the relationships between American Robins, Black Capped Chickadees, Pileated Woodpeckers, Worms, Carpenter Ants and Eastern White Pines. All of these species have been spotted in Centennial Woods (by me or by Inaturalist). The interrelationships between these organisms include predation, parasitism, commensalism and competition. My diagram does not include interactions from species of higher trophic levels. The species mentioned are either primary consumers, secondary consumers, decomposers and producers.

Lalumia, E. (2021)