Welcome to My Phenology Blog!

One tree-line within my landscape.

The area that I have chosen to study for my phenology blog is on a small horse farm in North Ferrisburgh, Vermont. Sitting in Northern Addison County, this plot of land is on the property where I live and work; about a five minute walk from my apartment. Although surrounded on three sides by farmed fields, this area has been left untouched by local farmers. Within the area there is a small, man-made pond that was created many years ago when the former land owner was thinking of turning the land into a golf course. I chose this area because this land has been a part of my life for many years and it is very easily accessible for me.

My phenological location. (Google Maps, 2020)

This landscape provides a great deal of biodiversity. In the overstory, I have found an array of trees including: red maple, shagbark hickory, burr oak, Eastern cottonwood, quaking aspen, and American elm. In the understory, I have found a variety of plants including: wild grape, Virginia creeper, New England aster, goldenrod, and staghorn sumac. I am looking forward to exploring this landscape farther and following the seasonal progression of these species!

Wild grape (Vitis aestivalis) climbing a shagbark hickory (Carya ovata)
Virginia creeper (Parthenocissus quinquefolia)
Red maple (Acer rubrum)
Burr oak (Quercus macrocarpa)
New England aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae)
I have been able to explore my landscape from horseback. Pictured is an Eastern cottonwood (Populus deltoides)

References:

Burnham, E. (Photographer). (2020). All photos.

Google Maps. (2020). “My Phenological Location”