Spring break phenology

Back in Mass for some of Spring break. I took my dog for a walk one morning when the sun was rising. We were in the State Park near my house the day after it snowed. It was a very pretty and snowy morning and I tried to get my dog in lots of pictures.

My phenology spot in Burlington is not super similar. Though there are rocks in this forest there are nowhere near the amount in my spot. The rocks also have very different textures and colors. There were some similarities with the tree species. There are a lot of hardwoods in the forest and some maples and oaks. There are a decent amount of spruce and other pines. As you can see in the pictures there is a decent amount of understory which is similar to the entrance area of my spot in Burlington.

There is also a water source throughout this forest. There is a damn and a reservoir that is used for both water and recreation. Because of this added feature, there are lots of tiny streams, beaches, and bridges along the way. There is also a paved road that fragments the trails and the forest as a way of increasing the number of people coming to the beaches and walking on the trails that are deeper in the forest. The snow however made the trails quiet as did the earliness of the walk. The trails had lots of roots and the parts of the ground that was visible were covered with dead leaves from the many hardwoods.