Prompt 1

Center map

Welcome to My Location!

https://goo.gl/maps/o3Bubh2RcSvDf2Hn9

Deciding My Location

When picking my location, I contemplated where I would find a natural area in the city of Burlington. I picked Centennial Woods because I felt familiar with the site but, I had trouble thinking of a specific location I would like to choose. Then, it hit me. During my NR001 class, we were shown a photo of an old ROTC bunker that now is covered with graffiti. I was not quite sure how to get there so, I began to roam. I started at the entrance and followed the main trail down the hill and across the stream. I walked for approximately half a mile when I saw the wall at a distance. It was up a large hill that did not excite my lungs nor my legs, but I knew this location would be exciting to observe cyclic changes during this semester. I got up to the bunker and immediately fell in love with this location.

There was a fallen black cherry tree that I sat on and began to take in the location I would be studying for the next two months. I appreciated the fact that with or without snow, I could easily find my place, but there was something much more significant. I liked that as time passes, you can read the story of this area by looking at the surrounding. Upon close observations, there are names enclosed in hearts that represented blossoming relationships. There were broken bottles that told the story of UVM alumni students that once unwinded in this location. You could see man-made trails that lead behind the stone wall, and yet with all of these factors, this area felt like mine.

I noticed an abundance of red maple and black cherry trees near my site. I heard a lot of different birds chirping their own melodies yet, I could not locate the direction from where the notes came from. I looked down at the soil and felt the cold damp mud wet the tips of my fingers.

Trees from my location. Photo taken on October 10, 2019
Toad. Approximately 12-15 centimeters in length. Photo taken on October 6, 2019

Finding My Location

If you are in Centennial and have no phone to use your GPS, look no further. Below I’m including a step by step route to arrive at the ROTC wall that I now hold close to my heart.

Begin at entrance of Centennial and walk down the path.

Continue to follow main path for approximately a quarter mile until you approach a clearing with two possible routes.

Take a slight right and continue on the trail that is visibly wider and has less vegetation.

Walk straight on this path for approximately 1/10 of a mile. You will know you’re going the right way if you walk over the stream and pass by a cluster of adult paper birches near a wooden bridge.

You will eventually approach another large clearing that has an abundance of eastern hemlocks, sugar maples, and northern white cedar trees. Take a sharp right and begin to clime the steep hill.

You will be able to see the ROTC wall from here.

Field Notes Taken

***To see photos and typed out descriptions, check out the updates menu of the home page of this blog or click on the link below***

September 29, 2019

October 6, 2019

October 10, 2019