Introducton

My name is Chase Reagan, and I am currently a freshman at the University of Vermont. I am enrolled in UVM’s Rubinstein School of Environment and Natural Resources, majoring in Forestry and minoring in Wildlife Biology. I grew up in Moretown Vermont which is about an hour west of Burlington. Moretown is in the heart of the Green Mountains, and because of these I have devolved a strong passion for nature. I have many hobby’s that pertain to nature such as hunting, fly fishing, maple sugaring, and hiking.  

Living in Burlington is not the easiest thing for myself as I am not used to being in the city. Fortunately, UVM has Centennial Woods which offers a sliver of solitude for me to escape the city life. Centennial Woods is only a 15-minute walk from my dorm room and is also on the way to baseball practice. This is why Centennial Woods makes an ideal location for my phenology assignment. Over the course of the next few months I will be uploading journal entries of my time spent in the woods.

Centennial Woods is a 65 Acre Natural Area. My location is accessed across from the UVM Police station off East Ave. As you walk along the trail you will see a mixed forest with Red Maple, Green Ash, Black Cherry, White Pine, and many more species. The trial meanders down a hill, until it reaches an opening that holds Centennial Brook. This is the location I will be observing over the next few months.