Home > alternatives, collaboration, events, social, Uncategorized > Looking to get involved?

Looking to get involved?

February 6th, 2014

As you may have learned from the recent Activities fest, there are tons of ways to connect! In fact, it can be overwhelming. How do you find what’s right for you? One way is to see what others are up to:

Angela Russo

Angela Russo

You might try to catch up with medical laboratory science major Angela Russo. It would be hard though. As a second semester sophomore fulfilling pre-medical requirements, Angela doesn’t have a lot of time. When she’s not in the clinical microbiology lab making media or plating samples, you might find her spending time with her COMFORT (College of Medicine Friends Offer Respite Time) family, or serving on the UVM Program Board, the Student Alumni Association, baking and frosting cakes for Cakes with a Cause, shredding the slopes as a member of the Ski and Snowboard Club, or introducing first years to UVM as an Orientation Leader. How does she balance it all?

“That is an interesting question,” Angela says. “When I was little, my parents threw me into every activity hoping that I would like something and continue with it. However, I always like everything, so I grew up with a busy schedule! Every semester, I make a color-coded master schedule of all my classes, labs, help

Ben Barnet

Ben Barnet

sessions, and weekly activities. As soon as I get exam dates or meeting dates, I put them in my phone calendar and planner. Then, I just take it day by day. When you really want to do something, put it on your calendar, and if it’s important to you, you’ll get it done.”

If Angela’s schedule seems a little too busy for you, maybe the relative tranquility of Ben Barnet’s life is more your style. Ben is a junior Communication Sciences and Disorders major, with a minor in Psychology. He’s an officer in the Speech and Hearing Club and a CNHS LINK. He loves his work with both organizations, but he says the most interesting thing that he’s done as a UVM student is taking yoga classes through UVM’s campus recreation department. In fact, he liked them so much that he signed up for Yoga Teacher Training, so he could pass on his love of the discipline to others.

Joy Benner

Joy Benner

Yoga’s not your thing? Try Active Minds. That’s what CSD junior Joy Benner does. She also enjoys spending time at the wheel as a member of the UVM Pottery Coop, participating in research with department faculty members, and volunteering at FAHC.

Collier Harmon

Collier Harmon

Nursing majors might choose to take part in the activities coordinated through the Student Nurses Association like Collier Harmon, a senior who is also a US Army Reserves Combat Medic.

Does ROTC appeal to you?

Ask senior nursing major, Ryan O’Leary about his experience. One of the most interesting things Ryan has been able to do was an internship in the Emergency Department at Fort Lewis, Washington.

Ryan O'Leary

Ryan O’Leary

Kerry Sawamura, another senior nursing major, fills her free time with the club sports softball team and as a tutor at the Learning Co-op.

Kerry Sawamura

Kerry Sawamura

If you thrive on physical activity, then you’re probably a lot like Ashley Mitson, a senior exercise and movement science major, minoring in Nutrition. Ashley is a valuable member of the UVM Varsity swim team, not only participating in the Conference as a first year student, but also scoring! When she’s not in training, she volunteers with the Catamount Leadership Academy through UVM Athletics as a member of the College for Every Student (CFES) youth mentor program. She’s also an active member of the Exercise and Movement Science Student Association.

Ashley Mitson

Ashley Mitson

Hopefully, these students’ stories have been inspiring – but if you’re still feeling overwhelmed, consider Angela’s advice:

“The way to be successful isn’t by signing up for a hundred things at once. Start with something you love and then find your passions along the way. That would be my advice to anybody looking to get involved. There are SO many opportunities on this campus; it is a shame to let them all pass by.”

Watch a musical tribute to UVM!