Winter Wonderscape

22 Jan

Overlook of my spot looking towards Centennial Field. The snow has blanketed the area causing phragmites to fall over, sumacs to lose their bobs (fruit), and the eastern white pines to lift the immense weight of snow.

Back in Vermont, I visited my old phenology spot in the power line clearing of Centennial Woods and the winter elements of low temperatures and strong cold winds have made my spot enter a period of dormancy. One of the biggest changes from my last post is the overwhelming presence of snow and low temperatures. I went out on January 21, the day after a large blizzard on January 19 and 20. With such a storm the snow and clouds covered my landscape causing my spot to change. With clouds covering the sun and low temperatures herbaceous and deciduous trees are trying to prevent losing energy and as a result, have lost their leaves and closed their lenticels to store heat. The circulating foraging groups of chickadees are becoming less frequent favoring to huddle together rather than risk exposure in the -17 C° weather. Lastly, both deciduous and coniferous trees are forced to hold onto thick heavy blankets of snow creating strain and can even cause them to fall over. As much as this snow is pressure on wildlife and flora once it all melts it will help revitalize my spot, yet until then my phenology spot is forced to endure this time of dormancy.

I purposely choose to go to my phenology spot after a blizzard in order to see fresh prints in the snow and other present wildlife activity before any hikers could damage or erase any evidence of wildlife. The first major sign of wildlife activity was white-tailed deer. There was an overwhelming presence of deer tracks going up and down the trails and cutting through the frozen covered brook. Other than the obvious distinctive track print it I knew it was deer due to its wide straddle and diagonal movement meaning it was probably walking (not sprinting). I could even possibly claim that maybe its tracks lead to a resting area where it either slept or laid down to rest. There was a large imprint in the snow in the shape of a deer located underneath some eastern white pines, which is a preferable spot for a deer to avoid snow and stay warm. Other than deer I found a white-footed mouse trail leading to a snow den. Based on the small size and shape of the track (1/4 inch) and narrow straddle it was easy to tell it was a white-footed mouse or some other small galloping mammal. Without disturbing the nearby area I saw the tracks lead to an opening to the Subnivean Zone. This opening leads to a den which compacted by snow creates an area of warmth from the exposed winter landscape. Most likely a white-footed mouse left this den to look for resources and then traveled back to its den. Not knowing if there were any residents of this den I left not to disturb them.

In terms of winter trees, there is plenty of deciduous trees at my phenology spot including staghorn sumac. white oak, red maple, northern red oak, trembling aspen, American elm, and black locust. The most overwhelming deciduous tree species is staghorn sumac where they all have lost their leaves and their fuzzy red bobs (fruiting body). Outside my phenology spot I do see some sumac still holding onto their bobs, yet at my sight, there is now visible bobs most likely due from more animal activity (consuming) and being in a more exposed area to colder temperatures and harsher winds. Lacking their bobs the seem as if they were naked, yet under a closer look with their hairs prickled straight you could see their cone-shaped buds. I only imagine seeing these buds now to develop into bountiful colorful bobs by springtime.

Lastly the last set of observations I made as the active wildlife I saw on my visit. With mammals active and so are the birds despite many of them their migrated or remain inactive in their cavity homes. Right after the blizzard, I could only imagine they bunkered out waiting to forage the next day, the day I would check my phenology spot. As luck has it I saw many foraging bird species such as northern cardinals, downey, and hairy woodpeckers, chickadees, white-breasted nuthatches, brown creepers, American crows, and common ravens. Staying here all year-round these birds have found ways to manage the winter and lift my spirits during the winter.