Blog #2

On todays walk to the bunker, I was shocked by how different the landscape looked from the last time I was there. A good 90% of the trees had lost their leaves and you could see deep into the forest in ways you could not before. A few trees did still have their leaves, but those that did had leaves of mostly yellow or fading greens, most of the reds and oranges have disappeared at this point. The trees looked barren and were fun to watch all sway together in the strong breeze. While on the path to the bunker I stopped at the edge of the riverbank, as I had come to the point where the bridge would normally be. However, the bridge had been swept a good 50 feet down stream and left me having to rock hop my way across the river. Both the higher water levels in the river and the dampness of the decaying ground around me reminded me that we had recently experienced some torrential down pours. The day was cooler today as well (46 degrees F). The burdock plant that I spoke of in my previous blog, had since been decimated, I suspect it was trampled, as the remainders of the plant were flatly squished into the ground. The six species that I identified include those that follow: brambles, a skinny plant with broad green leaves that grow in triplets. One of the brambles I saw had turned a beautiful vibrant peachy orange color. Wood ferns, scattered all along the forest floor, especially on the hill up to the bunker. Asters and Allies, a plant with skinny leaves and small fuzzy white flowers. Two types of moss, which I believe were Entodon, and Silvery Bryum, they grew side by side along the stone of the bunker. And fly honeysuckle, which was one of the few plants around me that had remained mostly green.

Mapping my location before going really made me realize how terrible I am with directions. I remembered the river being windy so I tried to represent that, however I noticed once I got there how off my perception of the river was.