It is about that time of year again. Classes are coming to a close, finals are starting up and the summer months are about to begin. You may ask, “How can I make the most of my summer vacation?” There are many ways to effectively spend your summer. You may have heard people chat about internships. Internships are a great way to spend to summer, but here are some alternatives to internships.
1. Summer Classes–
- Great way to lighten your academic load or catch up if needed.
- Doesn’t need to be at UVM, but tuition is discounted (at UVM).
- At UVM, there are classes on campus, online and worldwide.
- For more information UVM Summer Classes
2. Summer Research–
- Excellent method of gaining experience in your field of study.
- It doesn’t have to be at UVM, which is helpful if you do not live close.
3. Relevant Job Experience–
- Not an internship, but a job in your field that will give you at least the most basic experience.
- Could lead to networking for an internship or full-time job.
- Volunteer at an organization in your field.
4. Study Abroad–
- It works well with jam-packed curriculum tracks because it won’t interrupt your scheduling.
- Perhaps you could fulfill a language/diversity/elective requirement as well.
- Study Abroad involves a lot of planning beforehand. Here is a link to help you get started UVM: Office of International Education
~Randall, Career Peer Advisor