Whatever you are doing this summer (job, internship, volunteering, travel), you are probably meeting interesting people. Stay connected with your summer connections through LinkedIn. Here are 5 simple tips to keep in mind as you network on LinkedIn:
1. Connect with a purpose. LinkedIn is a professional social network, not a personal social network. Don’t spam professionals with connections requests, be thoughtful and connect with a purpose.
2. Include a personal note in your connection request. Why are you reaching out to connect? To learn more about a members career path? To set up a 15 minute call to learn about your prospective professional connection? State your purpose in the connection request.
3. Participate in group conversations that align with your professional goals.
4. Follow the companies you aspire to work for and learn more about.
5. Share relevant, professional, through provoking content. Look like a thought leader as a young professional.
And remember to join UVM alumni groups on LinkedIn as well!
University of Vermont Career Connection on LinkedIn
UVM Alumni Association on LinkedIn
Good luck to you all and be confident that you can do anything you set your mind to.
John Kelly O’Connor, ’05
LinkedIn Marketing Solutions