Sense of Place in My Hometown

Unlike many of the first-year students headed home over thanksgiving break, I had not been to my hometown in 6 months. In late May I packed my things, left my house in southeast Pennsylvania, and headed up to the mountains of New Hampshire. During these next three months I was able to deepen my sense of place in the mountains that I have grown up visiting since I was ten years old. Living in the middle of the mountains, removed from the hustle of everyday life, I was able to truly connect with my surrounding environment. I was dependent on the weather which would decide what I would do that day as well as the trails for getting me everywhere I needed to go.

Image result for white mountains lakes of the clouds
White Mountains, NH

Living up in the alpine was truly difficult as the sun seldom shines and there is a guaranteed hailstorm every month of the year. Because of this, you truly appreciate the sunny days and savor every moment. These mountains certainly transformed me into the person that I became going into college; where I then evolved some more. In the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving I was certainly excited to head back on home and sleep in my own bed for the first time in a long while. However, driving back into my hometown was a much different experience than I expected. All of a sudden, I felt small and almost discontent. I realized that I am a much different person now than I was when I lived here. I noticed many things from my hometown that I found quite unsettling. There were many new developments and a whole new shopping center under construction where there had been a field, prior. The bike path that I used to frequent was torn up by new construction. I also realized that it wasn’t just the physical environment that changed but also my perception. I was much more observant to these changes than I had ever been before.

New development “University Village” in New Britain Twp.

Our town has a rich history with both land use and cultural heritage. There are some cobblestones in our town square that remain from the 1700’s. I think back to that time where there were no cars whipping down the streets and instead people walking around to the market-place with maybe a horse and buggy or two. Now there are built up apartments and stores that quite frankly establish a sense of placelessness within me. I think that I don’t fully associate myself as being a person from the suburbs of Philadelphia. I have found that when people find out that I am from Pennsylvania they are confused and don’t quite expect it. I have made a lot of choices to explore places outside of my hometown and gain lots of experiences from those places. Because I chose to live outside of the bubble that is my hometown, I return and feel this uneasiness being back. I have been able to change and evolve so much and many of the people I know have not. The place has also lost so of the luster that I remember so well and it is instead replaced with developments and little green space.

Image result for historic doylestown pa
Historic Doylestown