At first glance, this visit seemed a lot like the last one in March. However, at a closer look, you could seem the forest had a mini explosion of spring. Chickadees, Red-Winged Blackbirds, American Robins and Tufted Titmouses are all in action as well as many others that I can’t identify. Listening to the bird’s chatter, the beginnings of plants have started to emerge along with the buds on the maples and birches in the area. The oaks ever late in seasonal changes (some still holding on to last years leaves, the old grumps) and still pretending that it’s winter. Turning over a few logs and branches trying to find amphibians I struck out. However, if anyone’s in the area and is trying to find some the ones that should be around this time of year are the American Toad and the Painted Turtle which are probably closer to a real pond or vernal pool than my site it. I did have some wildflower on my site, I had hoped that they would be coltsfoot, however, I’m pretty sure that they were common dandelions. The spring rain is starting to green everything up. Although Centennial Woods is a pretty bing habitat area most of the area has trails and paths that cut through the habitat. This fragments the woods enough that the surrounding roads make most of the area into edge habitat as the closest road is only around 370 feet or so away. The area in Centennial Woods also get a lot of noise pollution as no matter how far I have walked into it there is still the hum and buzz of cars and the occasional airplane or helicopter in the background which if they annoy me must drive the critters that live here crazy.

All photo rights belong to Brenna Christensen 2017

Sketch from Site!

Dandelions along the stream bank.

Artist rendition of tree buds.

Small plant found on the site. Could not identify, any ideas?

Tree buds! From a maple maybe?

“Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts. There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature — the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter.”

― Rachel Carson, Silent Spring

Citation:

Holland, Mary, and Chiho Kaneko. Naturally Curious: A Photographic Field Guide and Month-by-month Journey through the Fields, Woods, and Marshes of New England. North Pomfret, VT: Trafalgar Square, 2010. Print.

« »