Hi, guys! Hope everyone has had a good “spring” break, quotations of spring because of you know the blizzard that just happened. A good two feet of snow, a broken snowblower and a lot of shoveling has put a slight damper on my hiking this time around. So I didn’t venture out as far from home as last time I visited a different site. This time I just took as walk down to the marsh (Laurel Marsh) that is a little ways down the road from me to see how it was fairing with all the snow. The marsh is now part of the local land trust and is connected to a man-made lake across the street. (For a brief overview of the land history of the area my post from 11/23/16 has the info) A home to many beavers over the years construction in the area recently has made the marsh seem smaller and out of place. The crisp day showed the marsh-edged with cattails and unfortunately a few phragmites. The phragmites has the local land trust debating on the best methods of removal, so far most of them have been leaning toward using black tarps in order to stop the sun from reaching them. Any plants that may have been getting a start on spring are buried under the snow. However, the pussy willow is starting to bud as well as a few other trees.  The red-tailed hawks have started to return, normally there is a nesting pair in the area. I have seen a red-tail about four times in the area this week but I think that it is just two of them.  They bring with them debates on how it’s nice to have a nest in the area, while some birders dislike them due to their habits of snacking on songbirds. After my stop at the marsh, we continued our walk and came to the natural area I was at last time, however, the abundant amount of snow but the brakes on and instead of plowing through we admitted defeat and returned home.

All photo rights belong to Brenna Christensen 2017

The beginnings of the Pussy Willows buds!

The frozen bit of water is a deep pool before the vegetative plants of the area really kick in.

View of Laurel Marsh from road

Trail head for the marsh.

The massive amounts of snow that got in the way from the blizzard.

“You can cut all the flowers but you cannot keep Spring from coming.”
― Pablo Neruda

« »