Walking into my site you can see the human impacts on the land in the weird variety of trees with the oldest dominant species being white pine while slowly fading back into a hardwood deciduous forest. With the hemlocks that spring up in the understory as the only other conifers in the area, I would classify my site as a Hemlock-Hardwood Northern forest. The matrix of this forest type being later successional hemlocks with, the early successional species being oaks. Off of these main species, white pine that is found in the forest would match this type as well as the splattering of beech and birch found around the site. Since the last time I visited the snow has melted down to a few patches that are found here or there throughout the site as well as the emergence of come brighter mosses that are abundant in the area. The low levels of fog are beginning to feel like spring is approaching however it is New England and rapid swings in weather are probably due to happen. Looking over the area in biofinder (a site that lets you look for certain qualities in the land around Vermont) showed that it was home to a few rare animal species, a class two wetland and a rare terrestrial community. While it is hard to tell exactly what that means as it does not list the exact type of animal (except that it was class S2B, see http://www.vtfishandwildlife.com/common/pages/DisplayFile.aspx?itemId=229831 for a list of species classification) and it does not list the exact type of community either. While these are improvements that can be made on biofinder it is clear that there are some things in Centennial Woods that are worth protecting.

All photo rights to Brenna Christensen 2017

Key: Light Orange = Rare Animal, Light Yellow = Class 2 Wetlands, Green = Rare Plant Community, Red = Wildlife Corridor

Waiting for spring!

Hemlock in the foreground, with oaks in the general area

I am going to try to pay attention to the spring. I am going to look around at all the flowers, and look up at the hectic trees. I am going to close my eyes and listen.

-Anne Lamott

Citations:

Thompson, Elizabeth Hathaway., and Eric R. Sorenson. Wetland, Woodland, Wildland: A Guide to the Natural Communities of Vermont. Montpelier: Vermont Dept. of Fish and Wildlife and the Nature Conservancy, 2005. Print.

« »