Kalmia Sanctuary is run by Litchfield Hills Audubon Society in North West Connecticut. An old farm and orchard the forest here has been allowed to grow for 30 to 40 years. However recently there has been a push to revive grasslands and early growth forests for wildlife like the New England Cotton Tail and grassland birds. This means that there was a clear cut in the sanctuary around 4 years ago. The flora changed from oaks, maples and beeches into birches, aspens and white pines. This is similar to the outer area of my section of Centennial Woods however as there is no old growth and is much more removed from people. The forest in the area also differs from the Vermont area with little to no stripped maple and basswood. On the hike up to my spot I saw bobcat tracks and a American Chestnut that has gotten large enough to produce fruit however is showing signs of the blight. The sanctuary is also home to many different stone walls and apple trees left over from its days as an orchard allowing for a great hiking area.

img_6181

American Chestnut, got to be around 9 DBH (Diameter at Breast Height) however is starting to suffer from the blight.

img_6060

American Chestnut

img_6061

American Chestnut

img_6107

Quartz can be found all around this region in great abundance.

img_6105

Stonewalls line the landscape.

img_6173

Old skid road from last clear cut.

img_6111

Possible bobcat tracks, one was seen in the area very recently.

img_6098img_6104img_6177img_6124img_6127img_6115img_6114

I felt my lungs inflate with the onrush of scenery—air, mountains, trees, people. I thought, This is what it is to be happy.

-Sylvia Plath

Photo Credit: Brenna Christensen

« »