Centinneal Water Spot

A UVM blog for NR1

Intro! Thursday 10/24

A quick intro

To get to my spot, you first have to go to the bike rack on Catamount Drive, which marks the entrance to Centennial woods. About 50 feet into the woods, you’ll come to the first clearing. From that clearing, take a left. It will lead you onto a wooden bridge , and down a hill which goes to yet another clearing. From that clearing, look for more wooden planks, which should be directly in front of you. Walk that wooden path until you come to a flowing stream of water. You’ll know you’re in the right place when the river starts bending away from you as you face it, standing on the wood path.

This area is defined by the curve of the river, as described above. The last few times I went, the river had a quiet, soothing rippling sound to it, which was louder when the rain had fallen recently. If I close my eyes and focus on the sound of the flow, every other thought in my head fades away, and I feel free. The low-growing plants there also provide a very scenic view. Beyond the river bend are wires, which travel high over a cleared trail. On that clearing, there are no trees, but there are many low growing plants, just like the ones near the river.

To see the trail, look here:

Notes 10/3, 2:00 pm

Leaves have started falling in trees surrounding the area, but there is little color change for the plants by the river. There’s an orange flag at the turn of the river, which isn’t flowing too much. It’s about 40 degrees fahrenheit.

Notes 10/13, 4:00 pm

It’s about 54 degrees fahrenheit. Many more leaves have fallen from the trees than last time, and for my spot, there’s a lot more color on the plants which have bigger leaves. There’s more of a flow; it’s rained recently.

Notes 10/23, 5:30 pm

It’s about 54 degrees fahrenheit. Almost all the leaaves from surrounding trees are gone, but the plants surrounding the river remain slightly colored but not majorly changed. Again, the river has a nice flow to it. The orange flag is gone.