January: Trinity Endurance Post

Welcome Back! Excited to be wandering around Trinity’s woods again and finding new things.

Here, I found some tracks that looked like grey squirrel tracks, as they were the right size and according to page 17 in our tracking book. The grey squirrel has a hindfoot size of about 5 cm.

Here is a surgar maple twig (I think)
This is a red maple twig that I did not find at my site, but saw it as a better example. (The bud is at the bottom)
sketch of the red maple twig with labels.

The Trinity Woods has not changed much since I last saw it. No new trees had fallen. The only difference between now and then was the amount of snow. The snow has frozen on the ground so the ferns or grass no longer poke out. Animal sightings are relatively low but can be better seen against the snow and with tracks.

Naturally Curious explained that small mammals will bury themselves underground and entrances to their holes can be spotted from the surface.

Works Cited

Levine, L., & Mitchell, M. (2008). Mammal tracks and scat: life-size tracking guide. East Dummerston, VT: Heartwood Press.

Holland, M., & Kaneko, C. (2019). Naturally curious: a photographic field guide and month-by-month journey through the fields, woods, and marshes of New England. North Pomfret, Vermont.: Trafalgar Square Books.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.