Final Visit 5/12/21

Observations

When I visited my place on 5/12/21, I noticed many changes in the vegetation. As I looked around the clearing, I saw that the majority of the buds on the oak trees have broken and the trees are displaying their new leaves. The leaves on these oak trees are currently orange and yellow and have not fully developed yet. The maple trees in the clearing are also displaying their new leaves, which are reddish green and still developing. There is also a paper birch that is displaying its new leaves which are very small and green currently. There are many clumps of grass growing all over the clearing. Additionally, there are a vast amount of ostrich fern fiddleheads growing down the hill closer to the brook. Most fiddleheads were green but some were also red. The vegetation along the edge of the brook have new leaves. In addition to the vegetation, I saw a lot of bird activity. I heard the calls of crows, black-capped chickadees, gulls, and song sparrows and I spotted a black-capped chickadee in a tree. I also heard a bird call I had never heard before but wasn’t sure how to identify it. I also saw a chipmunk and four separate grey squirrels foraging on the ground. Finally, there were many small insects flying around the brook.

Reflection

One way that nature and culture intertwine in Centennial woods is through recreation. Many people use the trails in Centennial woods for hiking and running, and spending time in the woods is a great way to have fun and build a stronger connection to nature. I’ve also seen many people out birding, hammocking, and walking their dogs. The possibilities are endless, and you can enjoy the woods alone or with friends. Another way nature and culture intertwine here is through education. Many classes at UVM have labs or activities in Centennial because it is so accessible and allows for students to apply what they are learning in the classroom. I definitely consider myself a part of my place because I’ve created such a strong connection with it throughout my visits there. When studying the environment, we must also consider the people who interact with it. Our actions have direct impacts on the environment, so it is crucial for us to treat the places we interact with with respect. As we have learned throughout the year, humans are inextricably linked with the natural world, and we must understand this idea in order to save this planet we call home.