Phenology post 3/8/19

Upon visiting my site once more, I have started to analyze the ground on the edges of the Redstone Pines. As more and more snow melts, or rain falls, it has become abundantly noticeable that the pines are surrounded by impermeable surfaces. Around the paths and streets the ground is oversaturated with gross water and the grass is starting to die in many spots. Using the wetland, woodland, wildland framework was not much help as I have come to realize this area is simply not very natural at all. I think if efforts were made to strengthen the barriers or increase the permeability between the concrete paths and the redstone pines, overtime the area would be able to grow into a healthier community. However, it is also very small, so finding a way to connect it to any surrounding natural area would also be crucial. Over the past few weeks, I have noticed some changes in the wildlife in the area. while all the birds appeared to have left, the past few days I have been able to admire a woodpecker working away at the same tree. In addition, I have noticed fewer and fewer animal tracks in the snow, This may be due to a decrease in activity as winter goes on longer and longer, or it could be due to the constant water being carried across the area causing inconsistent ground snow coverage.