Re: Question about Virtual Tours

On Jun 23, 2005, at 1:43 PM, somebody wrote:

I know you work with streaming media but I have a question about  creating full virtual tours for the web maybe you could help with.  What I am thinking about is more then just a 306 degree QTVR, but a  full fishball view. I am re designing the res life web site and we  want to add some images of rooms and other locations on campus.

I don’t know if you have experience with these or not, check out  this link to see what I mean: 

We just got a new camera – a Canon Rebel XT and we have a tri pod.  I also have Adobe Creative Studio and some Canon software. I am  able to stitch together images to make a 306 but that is just on  one plane. Do you know of anyone who has done this at UVM and has  a software suggestion?  Let me know if you have any thoughts.

It’s been years since anyone contacted me about panoramic images. The web team subcontracted the job for these I can’t recall who did them — Deb Goller probably knows. A Ken Burns (not THE Ken Burns), I think. This guy (Tom Pollak) is a local and could/would probably do them for you, if you want to spend money.

Some Free/Cheap software possibilities can be found here . Most everything seems to be based on "Pano Tools."

From what I can tell, software is the least of the issues, compared to building a camera rig and calibrating lenses. See http://www.panomundo.com/panos/howto/index.html

About Wesley Wright

Born on a mountain top near New York City, Craziest state in the land of the pretty. Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree, Killed him a bear when he was only three.
This entry was posted in Projects, Video and Audio. Bookmark the permalink.