Construction Webcam

Lauck Parke and others approached me about installing a webcam to watch the construction near Living/Leanring. Kim parker purchased and configured an Axis 2100 network camera. I cleaned up a few items in the configuration

On Dec 6, 2004, at 9:10 AM, Kim Parker wrote:

Thanks, Wesley. I’ve checked my settings but still am not getting the desired results.

I looked at the "Support" section to see the server log. Messages in log to the effect that it could not find server chipmunk.uvm.edu So I checked network settings, saw that no DNS servers were defined. I added 132.198.201.10 and 132.198.202.10 (I would have thought the camera would obtain these from DHCP… I must not think bad thoughts) This allowed camera to find chipmunk, now log showed a login error.

I tried to login to chipmunk using account concam : worked for ssh, but not for ftp. Apparently TSG neglected to add "concam" to the list of allowed ftp users on chipmunk. In the meantime I looked at the network settings again, and said — hmmmm I would have thought the camera would obtain the DNS servers from DHCP… I must not think bad thoughts. I saw that the DHCP checkbox was unchecked and the bootp box was checked. I thought bad thoughts, and said that’s not right, deleted the DNS server info, checked the DHCP box, configured the SMTP and notification parameters to email waw@uvm.edu, and restarted the camera

And of course, there is no longer a camera at 132.198.xxx.yyy, nor anywhere else I can find on subnet xxx.

Whoops. Sorry.

So I had Kim use the Axis utility to put the camera back where it was in NetworkLand. Then I needed to edit the nph-client.cgi script on chipmunk to stream the uploaded image, and create a cron job that would archive the current image every 10 minutes Final results? See http://chipmunk.uvm.edu/~concam/ and http:// chipmunk.uvm.edu/~concam/concam.php3

About Wesley Wright

Born on a mountain top near New York City, Craziest state in the land of the pretty. Raised in the woods so's he knew every tree, Killed him a bear when he was only three.
This entry was posted in Projects, Scripts - Programming, Video and Audio, Web Publishing Support. Bookmark the permalink.