oEmbed with UvmTube

here is some text

And above is the video!


Posted in Projects, Video and Audio | Leave a comment

Archiving STEM construction

Taught Physics webcam to capture still images every N seconds Monday -> Friday 6am -> 6pm.  N initially set to 180 for testing, set to 5400 for production.

Configured server jerboa to accept FTP upload from web cam. Wrote a script to run at 10:30 PM every night moving the days pics into a subdirectory  bases on year and month. script then invoke ffmpeg to produce updated daily time-lapse video, streamed from wowza server.

Posted in Wes | Tagged , | Leave a comment

BigBlueButton Updates, tweaks

Firefox latest releases have become more aggressive about disallowing mixed http and https content on a single page. This caused the BigBlueButton Blackboard LTI to soft-fail until user manually overrode mixed content restriction. I was able to force BBB to use https only when referenced by the LTI, and force http for all else. This entailed hacking

/var/lib/tomcat7/webapps/bigbluebutton/WEB-INF/classes/bigbluebutton.properties (see below) and /var/www/html



First fix broke presentations. Fix for that broke microphones. Fix for that fixed all — I hope.

if (top.location != self.location) {

top.location = self.location.href.replace(‘https’,’http’);


if (self.location.href.match(/https/)) {





< bigbluebutton.web.serverURL=https://bigbluebutton.uvm.edu












Posted in Wes | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

2016 Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching Awards nomination form busted

Form was broken. I fixed.

Posted in Wes | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Perpetual license wowza install

met with ETS/SAA staff to install and configure fully licensed wowza streaming engine server to replace RealServer and Darwin Streaming Server, support stemma and cumulus clips projects

Posted in Wes | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Mansfield snow depth

Perl robots failin to grab Mt Mansfield data from NWS because thy switched to MiXEd CaSe labels, previously al UPPER CASE. Old scripts case-sensitive. Updated scripts and back filled missing date from email archives  . Amazed by how many people notice when the graph breaks.


Posted in Wes | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Flood video

Paul Bierman wept:

Am trying to grab
for teaching…
won’t stream or download.

Video using old codec and Quicktime streaming server technology. transcoded video and embedded it on page using contemporary jwplayer standards:


Posted in Wes | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Gund publications

On Feb 18, 2015, at 10:25 AM, Taylor Ricketts <taylor.ricketts@uvm.edu> wrote:
I’m trying to upload an update of our publications database (as an xml file, per usual).  The import interface is hanging up, now motionless for 20 minutes after I hit submit.  Is this expected?  The files getting bigger, but I don’t remember such a long time before.
we still get lots of complements about the site.
This took a lot of sleuthing. Root cause was a database lock file (from November) that was gumming up the works.
Unrelated but also problematic: there was an issue with tomcat log files and the log rotate script resulting in wasted disk space and runaway jobs. All cleaned up now.
Posted in Wes | Tagged , , | Leave a comment


See cumulusclips.org

Free Video CMS
Start your own video sharing website with CumulusClips video sharing script. It’s free and easy to use. You can build a YouTube clone where users can upload videos, rate videos, comment on videos, and much more.

Downloaded and installed on https://jerboa.uvm.edu/cumulusclips/

“Hook” added to enable UVM WebAuth

Working on accepting videos > 2GB

Plan is to use this as interface to load videos directly on Wowza server on video.uvm.edu


Posted in --Project Summary, Wes | Leave a comment

display issue on landscape

On Feb 16, 2015, at 5:36 AM, Paul Bierman <paul.bierman@uvm.edu> wrote:


Wonder if some of the changes made last week had an unintended consequence…

I get the same “modern image” with all older images that have not modern counterpart…

See screenshots.  Shows up in admin and non admin views.

This proved more difficult than it seemed at first glance, but I eventually figured it out

Posted in Wes | Tagged | Leave a comment